How many of you are using the chord editor?

Started by Saga Musix, January 20, 2009, 15:57:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use the chord editor + chord shortcuts in OpenMPT?

Yes
1 (6.3%)
No
15 (93.8%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: January 20, 2009, 15:57:58

Saga Musix

As I've come across a severe bug when trying to enter some chords in the pattern editor some time ago, I was really shocked that noone reported this yes. The chord editor was most likely broken since Keyboard Split was introduced, and that has been a long time ago. Because of this incident, I thought that I should ask you if anyone is really using this thing at all. If nobody's using it (and is not going to use it as soon as the fixed version is out :P), we could as well consider removing it, which would mean "one shortcut more for more important things". Let me know your opinion.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

If people knew what is was, it would be more used. The lack of new documentation after 1.16(Oliviers help file) makes people stick to old habbits. I strongly urge to not remove this feature.
^^

Saga Musix

Quotehe lack of new documentation after 1.16(Oliviers help file) makes people stick to old habbits.
But then, why did noone of them complain? The chord editor has been there in 1.16 as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

I don't really care about the chord editor, the "old" system is very easy to monitor and change if needed. Even more, i found an interesting feature in other trackers example, you can extend or shrink the channel note column, so you can enter basically more notes together on one channel.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

KrazyKatz

Hmmmm. I've always wondered what it does... Anyone care to fill me in?  :P
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

bvanoudtshoorn

As far as I know, the chord editor allows you to create shortcuts for chords. Or something. TBH, it's easier to just enter the chord manually, particularly if you don't always want the same chord (even if just to make it an add9 or a 6 or whatever).

LPChip

I'm not really using the chord editor myself. I just enter the notes manually.

I don't even know how it works, and it could very well be that I've not even configured the keys for it to work.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Bascially, you assign a certain chord to a note (e.g. a F# minor chord could be assigned to the base octave's F# key), and press shift (or any other key you've chosen in the keyboard binds) + F# to get the chord.

KrazyKatz

I imagine it was most used in the days where trackers didn't have a mouse pointer to make life easier. Modplug must have carried over the feature.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

LPChip

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I imagine it was most used in the days where trackers didn't have a mouse pointer to make life easier. Modplug must have carried over the feature.

I never really used the mouse. From the Impulse Tracker days, I already did everything with shortkeys. Like tab to get to the next channel.

So I doubt that it was because of bad navigation. I think it was more ment for making things easier.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

I always liked the mouse, and was glad that modern trackers are supporting it much more widely than the old ones. I can work with it very comfortable and fast.
Also a midi keyboard helps a lot (they say), but i found myself 95%+ of my time tweaking the knobs and programing the sounds with keyboard/mouse, only using it really rarely.
I was a Impulse Tracker user 2 for a loooong time.

Harbinger

As a card-carrying member of the Control Freaks Club, it is our position that all notes be entered manually, known commonly as "the hard way," so that all blame rests on the user when the results are screwed up. All functions that take control away from the user we deem heretic, and will result in our muttered indignation and prayers to the Heavenly Father that your nose hairs take over your face, so that when you sneeze, your eyebrows are ripped off violently...

psishock