Entering effect parameter change using a midi controller

Started by chr15m, December 23, 2008, 16:25:37

Previous topic - Next topic

chr15m

Hi there,

I've done a bit of searching around these forums but I couldn't find a solution to my problem (indeed, maybe there isn't one). I have a USB midi controller (an evolution uc33) and I am wondering if there is a way for me to enter parameter effect changes (like  \xx, Fxx, Vxx) using my controller instead of the [wonderful] 'visualise effect' view or programming them in by hand. I have been programming effects parameters by hand for years, and will continue to do so, but it'd be really nice to be able to use my controller too. I saw something on the German wiki about this (maybe) but the google translation wasn't that great: http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fsagamusix.de%2Fopenmpt%2FHandbuch%3A_MIDI_Mapping&sl=de&tl=en

Cheers for any help!

Saga Musix

The article from my wiki deals with something different. MIDI Mapping passes the MIDI stuff directly to VSTis, but does not store it in the patterns. This is currently not possible in any way, sorry.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

chr15m

Cool, well where do I file feature requests? :)

Has anyone got OpenMPT to compile with i586-mingw32msvc-g++ (cross compile from linux). Would love to get this happening so I can contribute code.

Relabsoluness

Have you tried "Options->Record params" from VST window menu? I haven't used it in practice so I don't know is it useful, but with it it seems to be possible to record parameter changes simply by changing the params from the VST GUI.

Quote from: "Jojo"MIDI Mapping passes the MIDI stuff directly to VSTis
Actually not: it maps controller to VST parameter, so when a controller value changes, it changes to mapped parameter value. The ability to ably changes to pattern was planned but not implemented.

Quote from: "chr15m"Cool, well where do I file feature requests? :)
How about Feature Requests forums? ;)

Quote from: "chr15m"Has anyone got OpenMPT to compile with i586-mingw32msvc-g++
Probably not because compiling OpenMPT requires MFC library that ships with Visual Studio.

chr15m

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Have you tried "Options->Record params" from VST window menu? I haven't used it in practice so I don't know is it useful, but with it it seems to be possible to record parameter changes simply by changing the params from the VST GUI.

Wonderful! This looks very promising.

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "Jojo"MIDI Mapping passes the MIDI stuff directly to VSTis
Actually not: it maps controller to VST parameter, so when a controller value changes, it changes to mapped parameter value. The ability to ably changes to pattern was planned but not implemented.

So controller-to-VST parameter is only supported in 1.17.02.50 though, right? That would be the last piece of the puzzle, I think. Right now with your 'Record params' suggestion above, the parameter changes from the VST (made by wiggling the mouse) are indeed recorded into the pattern, but I haven't tried getting the controller to modify the VST parameters.

Quote from: "chr15m"Cool, well where do I file feature requests? :)
How about Feature Requests forums? ;)

Ah! Whoops. Anyway, it seems like I might not have to file a feature request after all. :)

Quote from: "chr15m"Has anyone got OpenMPT to compile with i586-mingw32msvc-g++
Probably not because compiling OpenMPT requires MFC library that ships with Visual Studio.

I've been looking through the wine docs and there is some info about compiling windows apps with winemaker and wineg++, even when the app uses MFC. It seems like if I can get MFC to install then I might be able to get OpenMPT to compile under Debian. I ran winemaker and it created a valid Makefile, so that seems to rock. Anyway, will post here if I make any progress on this front.

Thanks for your help!

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "chr15m"So controller-to-VST parameter is only supported in 1.17.02.50 though, right?
Since that version.

Quote from: "chr15m"I haven't tried getting the controller to modify the VST parameters.
Unlike changes made with mouse, changes made with controllers won't be recorded to pattern.

Quote from: "chr15m"I've been looking through the wine docs and there is some info about compiling windows apps with winemaker and wineg++, even when the app uses MFC. It seems like if I can get MFC to install then I might be able to get OpenMPT to compile under Debian. I ran winemaker and it created a valid Makefile, so that seems to rock. Anyway, will post here if I make any progress on this front.
Actually my answer might have been a bit different had I remembered discussion in this thread (see posts by pelya)

chr15m

Quote from: "chr15m"I haven't tried getting the controller to modify the VST parameters.
Unlike changes made with mouse, changes made with controllers won't be recorded to pattern.

So should I file a feature request for this? Or maybe I should just start coding.

Quote from: "chr15m"I've been looking through the wine docs and there is some info about compiling windows apps with winemaker and wineg++, even when the app uses MFC. It seems like if I can get MFC to install then I might be able to get OpenMPT to compile under Debian. I ran winemaker and it created a valid Makefile, so that seems to rock. Anyway, will post here if I make any progress on this front.
Actually my answer might have been a bit different had I remembered discussion in this thread (see posts by pelya)

Great thread, this should help a lot, thanks.