[drum and bass] digital sentience (mp3, it) < 100kb

Started by xaimus, November 23, 2008, 19:12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

psishock

@uncloned:
when the drum loop (or any other sound in fact) is in sample form, the pitch and the time length won't shift with tick/row/tempo change, basically will sound the same no matter what will you do.
So in his example, the tick/row was 6 and when he just coudn't make the fast slice changes on that speed, someplace just switched it to 3 and the tick went on with double speed. That meant double precision, but naturally the pattern length is needed to be doubled from from 32 to 64 to be able to fit every note.
About the same effect could be archived with double bpm, and maybe he could do the same on constant tick/row, but with delay (SDx) and another channel involved.
I hope this could make a sense for you. It is quite a "basic" "techonogy" for me also, as Jojo stated, but will help naturally if things are not clear.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

Hi psi and jojo

I stated there was no loops in this - but indeed there are two - they just were short enough that they were not as evident visibly.

However... this stuttering through the loop is new to me.... and look at and compare patterns 15 and 16 channel one to see what I was talking about.

Saga Musix

well, that's exactly what i was talking about. the beat is sliced up into pieces. so the peaces could be BD, SN and HH. at normal speed, your sequency would look like:

BD
--
HH
--
SN
--
HH

if you play it at half the speed and still want to have the same BPM, you have to write

BD
HH
SN
HH

i.e. leave out spacing.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Quote from: "uncloned"this stuttering through the loop is new to me
Fear not, this is actually pretty simple stuff, you will understand it fast. Maybe you need to try out yourself and play with doubling and halving the tick speed to see the results.
Quote from: "uncloned"and look at and compare patterns 15 and 16 channel one to see what I was talking about.
Well, i just knew you will mention this :D. Ok so what is happening on those patterns? xaimus halved the "default" speed (6 tick/row) with setting the tick/row to 12 now (A0C effect) possibly because he had a fun and thought that he could put together those slices even on that speed.
Basically he could do the whole song on the fastest 3 tick/row, everything would sound the same, but the optimization was needful in this case to fit on the 100k limit. That's why he went to faster speed only when he couldn't (or wouldn't) make the wanted sounding in any other way.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

uncloned

well its pretty neat coding as far as I'm concerned.

when I do modules it is a far simpler affair.

Thanks for the explanations!!!