[Techno/D'n'B/Soundscape] Jooze (MP3) System Partition :)

Started by unfa, November 08, 2008, 20:43:55

Previous topic - Next topic

unfa

Jooze 08.mp3

version 08 (the final one)

MP3 / 160kbps / 6.03 MB

Jooze07.mp3

version 07

MP3 / 160kbps / 6.03 MB

Jooze.mp3

version 06

MP3 / 160kbps / 5.07 MB

During working on this track, I finally figured out how to use RetrigerNote Effect (Q). And I found it very useful for fast (break?) beats.
This is also the first time I plugged some voice clips in to my track. My own of course :)
I used only MODPlug with freeware VST(i)s and Audacity for voice recording and noise filtering.
I am not sure if I tagged this track with right genres - I have very little expirience in that.
I also would like to ask you, about the technical side of this production. Could it be called 'professional'?
I still have some problems to finalize the track well.

Oh! The name is meaningless. Just sounded nice  8)

[edit]
I think that a last i found a good way to finish the track.
my music Right now. I'am working with OpenMPT on Ubuntu. Just a bit harder... but still possible and I'am happy about this :)

Sam_Zen

QuoteI am not sure if I tagged this track with right genres - I have very little expirience in that.
It shows. Here it is called 'Techno/D'n'B' while in the MP3 tag it says 'Blues'.
It's not a blues, that's for sure. Calling this Techno would be sufficient, I guess.

As you say, you're figuring out new elements, so I would consider this an 'exploration' rather than a composition.
Still too much sounds incidentally introduced and left again along the run. So it lacks a consistent final form.

A discussion about being 'professional' or not, is often a ridicule one.
First of all, to me it has nothing to do with being successful or earning money with the work in the first place.
It has to do with the urge to deliver quality, which sometimes demands a lot of effort and time to get it right.
Your technical production of this piece is quite ok.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm... You have some very interesting stuff here, unfa. :) I like the main synth line you use -- the autofilter (if that's what you're using) works well. One thing that doesn't sit quite right with me are your snare fills, when everything else cuts out -- I don't know, they just don't seem to quite work.

I think that this still needs some mixing work to be 'professional': some of the elements dominate a bit too much, and others don't have enough prominence.

In terms of ideas, though, I like it. I'm really interested now to see what you'll release next. :)

unfa

Sam_Zen:

As for the tag in the MP3 file - It's default for MODPlug. First alphabetically on the list :)
I just didn't take care of it - next versions still in mind.

What do you mean: exploration?
Could you explain it? :)

bvanoudtshoorn:

Autofilter - you mean the built-in sequencer of the synth? Yeah, I think it gives more move to the lead.

I stiil have some problems with controlling volume of drums. They are still pushing Dry/Wet slider more and more to the right :)

Mixing... I hope there is no clipping. Maybe too much instruments are too loud at once? Could you expand the need of mixing tweaking?

As for the snare fills - I thought it's a way to make a brake. Do you think that they brake it the wrong way or they are too hard?

Anyway I'am very glad that you like it :D
my music Right now. I'am working with OpenMPT on Ubuntu. Just a bit harder... but still possible and I'am happy about this :)

Sam_Zen

2 unfa
With exploration I meant f.e. figuring out how to use RetrigerNote Effect (Q), or adding voice clips for the first time.

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "unfa"Autofilter - you mean the built-in sequencer of the synth? Yeah, I think it gives more move to the lead.
Yes, I think we're talking about the same thing. :)

Quote from: "unfa"Mixing... I hope there is no clipping. Maybe too much instruments are too loud at once? Could you expand the need of mixing tweaking?
No, I didn't hear any clipping. I think that the problem is that too many instruments are too loud; you end up with a bit of a 'wall of sound'. So basically, the listener's ear isn't pulled towards what you want it to be pulled towards; the lead has no real superiority over the other instruments. The mixing's not bad -- I just think it could do with some tweaking. So could my stuff, of course. :D

Quote from: "unfa"As for the snare fills - I thought it's a way to make a brake. Do you think that they brake it the wrong way or they are too hard?
Yeah, the fills do break up the flow and add interest, but I think that they're too abrupt.

uncloned

this is an odd tune

I enjoyed the vocal samples very much

the bell sounds are cool - the rhythm sounds sort of broken, stumbling

unfa

Okay everybody. I'am very grateful for the time and attention you sucrified. :D I considered your notices. And made some new version. Download link at the top or here:

Jooze 07.mp3

version 07

MP3 / 160 kbps /  6.03 MB

it's longer!  :wink:

Sam_Zen

As far as mixing of digital tracks is concerned, better not normalize each single track to 100% before mixing.
Straight digital mixing is an adding function, so if 3 tracks have a peak at the same position, there's the risk of passing the max.
Nice improvements with v 07 by the way.

I agree with uncloned, a bit too less consistency of the rhythm sounds.
No need to fondle around too much with that, other elements provide variation already.

unfa

Sam_Zen:

Drums? Okay. I'll try to get that different in next version.
I don't know if the new voice clip in version 07 is good enough. Maybe I should re-record that to make it fits better with the rest.
I wanted to soften the snare rolls, that bvanoudtshoorn mentioned to be too slope.
I also added complety new melody thread. I think it still needs some tweaking and kind of a bridge.

Thanks for your support  :o  :D

unfa

Okay, everybody! I added a new version. With changed drum line and a lead kick added. Also some mixing tweaking have been done to it.
Here is is - the final version of Jooze:

Jooze 08.mp3

Guys, I'am really glad that you found time and will to help me. Thanks!  :D

Until the next .IT file...  :lol:

Harbinger

Notes on listening:

Jooze (title track):

You sir are certifiably BIZARRRE!

I can't believe i'm listening to this!!

I can't believe i'm listening to this again!!

I know my brain has been hijacked when i'm going to work greeting everyone with the usual "It's a system partition!"

I LOVE THIS AND I DON'T KNOW WHY!! i shouldn't really. but i am enthralled the same way as when i heard William Shatner do beatnik rap....

On a more analytical note, my first thought when the song opened was "Early Sugarcubes?" A Muppet character using a computer? No, lyrics without being lyrics?
The song had me rolling in laughter, if it weren't so serious somehow (as the music lends to). I thought we were going to take off in some hard-driving techno, but it wasn't to be (too bad for me).

How can i listen to this? It's too funny to be taken seriously but it's too serious to make you relax. It's too house to listen to motionless, but it's too theme-driven to dance to. It's too musical to be a conversation piece, but it's too eclectic to put in the background. It's too strange to keep, but too seductive to trash.

My therapist will have fun with me this week....

"It's a system partition!"

unfa

Harbinger:
:shock:   8)   :D

I'am really surprised and simultaneously amazingly glad hearing that you feel something like this! I had some serious difficulties with understanding some parts of your reply, but I think I finally got it :P

I have nothing against using "It's a system partition!" instead of "Hello" or "I don't care about that" or even instead of "How it's your brother today?"
What can I say more

COOL!  :D  8)
(quote)
and...

"It's a system partition!"

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Quote from: "unfa"I had some serious difficulties with understanding some parts of your reply, but I think I finally got it :P

Now i see why, you're in Poland! A lot of the references i made you couldn't expect to know! (I forget -- America is not the whole world! :) )

Maybe i'll elaborate:

William Shatner: Captain Kirk from Star Trek, who is not known for his singing. But has an unusual talk-singing style.

The Sugarcubes was Bjork's band from the 80's, and one of the band members (whose name escapes me) never sang -- he would only talk in a strange voice, making a very cool song seem campy. The vocals in your song reminded me of him...

The Muppets: American puppets with funny voices, omnipresent in our culture....

Keep doing what you do!! :wink: