UNMO3 for OpenMPT (Implemented)

Started by Saga Musix, November 17, 2008, 17:57:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=9092.0
I'll try to fiddle about with it, but if someone finds some time to do this before i can, i wouldn't mind as well. :)

UNMO3 returns IT, XM, S3M, MOD, MTM files - so i guess copying the loader code for UMX files might be the best idea.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Did I get it right that the source of the library will not be available? Not that it would be requisite anymore, but just to know.

Saga Musix

there's no source indeed. but there is no source of the winapi either and you are using it. :P as long as you link it dynamically, i don't see a problem personally.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

apparently, there's also some unofficial UNMO3 code, released under GPL...
http://gnu.ethz.ch/debian/unmo3/

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"apparently, there's also some unofficial UNMO3 code, released under GPL...
Nice to know, although GPL sets restrictions.

Saga Musix

so which license are we under at the moment anyway? :D is it LGPL or something?

Relabsoluness

Nothing conclusive has been decided, but none who were asked about it(all devs except Ericus who was unreachable) were against BSD(the newer version).

Saga Musix

what about "OpenMPT license"? :>

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Jojo"what about "OpenMPT license"? :>
Which would be?

Saga Musix

well... i dunno :D
there are other (bigger) projects with their own license. but having a look at those license may be a good idea. like the mozilla license or apache license...

LPChip

These "licenses" are just disclaimers following a normal license agreement.

I would advice against it, because these licenses are usually created by law-enforced people. Making such license yourself could cause holes that allow users to abuse the laws doing things that were unintended. In the end it could harm the OpenMPT community or perhaps even the end-user.

If we use a license from say... Creative Commons, then we'll be sure that every hole has been covered.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

mozilla code license is used for many project, same goes for the ziplib license if i'm not mistaken. i don't know them by heart, it's just suggenstions. :P

bvanoudtshoorn

OK...

MPL: Basically, anyone can take the code and do whatever they like with it, including rebranding it, selling it, not giving credit, etc. Is this what you want? :/

älskling

What would the benefits of switching to BSD be?

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "älskling"What would the benefits of switching to BSD be?
Among other things, to loosen restrictions imposed by GPL; ever wondered why Audacity doesn't provide built-in VST support? BSD is just one of countless choices to clarify the existing license issues.