[Orchestral] Kadath (MP3) Little mysterious orchestra

Started by Nahkranoth, November 17, 2008, 12:10:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

Since I can't finish my late track due to broken PC and to complete the collection of my more or less worthy tracks here:
Written for barryvan compo some time ago. I wanted to make something that will sound mysterious. Don't know if I've succeeded, but I'm happy with the result.
Kadath.mp3

Sam_Zen

Well done, Nahkranoth, you sure succeeded.
Didn't expect the use of a marimba, but it suits fine.

Since, in the past, I made an analog piece with the same title, I wondered :
Is this related to a book by H.P. Lovecraft ?

bvanoudtshoorn

I really liked this entry, Nahkranoth! I especially like the ostinato percussion, and the pauses in the music -- you get the feeling of never quite hearing more than a fragment, which I think really works in this piece. Great work. :)

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Well done, Nahkranoth, you sure succeeded.
Didn't expect the use of a marimba, but it suits fine.
Thanks, Sam! About marimba: actually this part was meant for xylophone, but the samples were unintelligible, so I ended up with this. For me it sounds like xylophone, I don't even remember the name of this instrument :D

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Since, in the past, I made an analog piece with the same title, I wondered :
Is this related to a book by H.P. Lovecraft ?
Yes, it is somewhat inspired by "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath". (It was hard to read but I made it :) )
The piece consists of 3 parts, roughly described as:
1)Enchanted Wood
2)A Ship to Baharna (that with Enigma theme)
3)Awakening

BTW Is it possible to hear your "Kadath"? Or was it lost between miles of old tapes? :oops:

[EDIT]And my thanks to you, Barry! Your compo forced me to write this :lol:
I used ostinatos mainly because of laziness. Some time ago I thought that my ears can be tired of hearing the same pattern again and again. But listening to one artist convinced me that it is actually can be pretty interesting. (There were full songs made by layering slightly changed repeating patterns :shock:).

About pauses: it was kinda hard to make them ...erm... sound good.

Sam_Zen

The marimba was a guess, more an indication of that kind of instruments.
(the book was hard to read indeed ..)
Still got the piece.

uncloned

this is really nice - sounds Russian - Shostakovitch comes to mind.

excellent! I especially like the depth the bass drum has.

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "uncloned"this is really nice - sounds Russian - Shostakovitch comes to mind.
Thanks, clones! Ukraine is not far from Russia, so it may sound like that :D , but it's not intentionally.

Quote from: "uncloned"I especially like the depth the bass drum has.
I like deep boomy bassdrums, even though my wife says:"Ahh, again those boring booms!" :lol:

[EDIT] I guess, Sam, you should post your track in separate topic, so everyone may have listen to it. It is very athmospheric, and I could easily imagine the scenes from the book!

Sam_Zen

You're right, Nahkranoth. I already had my doubts about this, but I thought it would be a bit silly to have a thread with the same title.

uncloned

Quote from: "Nahkranoth"
Quote from: "uncloned"this is really nice - sounds Russian - Shostakovitch comes to mind.
Thanks, clones! Ukraine is not far from Russia, so it may sound like that :D , but it's not intentionally.
!

It was in the mood and especially the use of percussion - I'm a big fan of Shostakovitch's use of percussion.

KrazyKatz

Hey Nahkranoth. Was pretty surprised by your piece! ;)

I really like the way you interjected that Marimba. The comic element within the creepy approach made for some amusing listening. I'm guessing you used Edirol Orchestra VSTi.

Keep up with the orchestral stuff man!
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"The comic element within the creepy approach made for some amusing listening
A comment from you is most welcome :D I'm glad you enjoyed this little track!
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I'm guessing you used Edirol Orchestra VSTi.
You've got golden ears man! Marimba/perc is from there.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Keep up with the orchestral stuff man!
I'll try, but the results can be unpredictable: it's like when I try to write blackmetal and end up with an orchestra or chiptune :lol:

rncekel

This one is really good. Dark atmosphere, it sounds like a soundtrack for a film or a game, although I'd rather prefer not to play games about books of Lovecraft: fishy strange creatures may capture in your dreams after that!
Anyway, nice piece. Have you thought about making a longer and more complex piece out of it?

Nahkranoth

Quote from: "rncekel"This one is really good. Dark atmosphere, it sounds like a soundtrack for a film or a game
Thanks, rncekel, for liking it! I was hoping to create some dark/magical feeling about it. It seems I have succeeded :D

Quote from: "rncekel"although I'd rather prefer not to play games about books of Lovecraft: fishy strange creatures may capture in your dreams after that!
I played "Call of Cthulhu" some time ago, and I must say, I'm not regretting it.

Quote from: "rncekel"Anyway, nice piece. Have you thought about making a longer and more complex piece out of it?
Yes, there were thoughts like that. But to complex orchestral pieces i prefer ...should I call them "minimal"? No more than 4 instruments at a time. Something like "Arcanum" soundtrack by Ben Houge.
About making it longer: I'd like to, but when I try to make tracks longer than 3 minutes they tend to be rather boring. If you listened to my other tracks you may have noticed that i never reach the ~3 min limit. There are some exceptions though, but I'm not proud of them :D