Uuuh Bero, i feel right, da ModPlug sounds better than you!

Started by Poser, December 21, 2005, 19:25:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Audio Honk

@Poser:

AFAIK beRo never titled ModPlug as lame but instrad just pointed out that both trackers have a different area of application.

Now please stop acting like a complete idiot.

Audio Honk

@Poser:

AFAIK beRo never titled ModPlug neither as lame nor as bad software but instead pointed out that both trackers have a different area of application.

Now please stop acting like a complete idiot.

Poser

Audio Honk = BeRo hm? ;)

Not my problem... but it's true, that BeRoTracker is NOT stable.

It crashes also on XP ( not only 98 ) just sometimes without doing special activities...

Ideal base to send bug reports ey? ;)

Nevermind, if you can deliver 2 tracks ( BeRo/ModPlug ) and the BeRo-version
of it sounds better, THEN we believe you first...

speed-goddamn-focus

Quote from: "Poser"Nevermind, if you can deliver 2 tracks ( BeRo/ModPlug ) and the BeRo-version
of it sounds better, THEN we believe you first...

Pluralis Majestatis?  :wink:

BeRo

Quote from: "Poser"
But if his tracker is sooooo superb and wonderful, why he keep it needful to compare with such a "lame" tracker like ModPlug?

I've never said that MPT is lame. MPT und BRT are two different trackers with two different target usergroups. You simply ignore the fact of my spectrum analyze tests maybe because you don't understand them. Also there may be differences in your preferences of both trackers which can result in a wrong conclusion (maybe MPT has set a higher output level which can trick your ears). It's a bit like buying a new TV set. If you let yourself blend by a shiny, high-contrast, colourful picture without checking the specs..

Audio Honk

@Poser:

No, I am not beRo but yes, I am a close friend of him.

Although I must admit that beRo's coding speed already served as base for various multi-personality speculations.

Poser

Quote from: "beRo"You simply ignore the fact of my spectrum analyze tests maybe because you don't understand them. Also there may be differences in your preferences of both trackers which can result in a wrong conclusion (maybe MPT has set a higher output level which can trick your ears).

Yes i've ignored them, because the spectrum is nice but my ears tell me something different...

Maybe the ModPlug-track is a little bit louder, but that's unimportant. Just set your attention
to the snareroll, the hihats and so on. Also the bassline is not the same, perhaps because
the resonance filter in the lowpass-instrument will be ignored by BeRoTracker.

LPChip

I don't want to interupt this so called "war", or maybe I do...

There's no reason to make it personal. As this is a forum where you have the right to speak, please make sure its about the topic, and not beyond that (thus a personal level).

Im sure we all are old enough not to lower our levels to such from this point on.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Squirrel Havoc

You wanna know what's funny? This talk that MPT is better than BeRo made me want to check out BeRo, so I did. I think that's the opposite effect from what Poser was going for :) Of course, I can't compare the 2, BeRo has no audio output on my computer :(
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

rewbs

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"BeRo has no audio output on my computer :(
You probably just need to setup the output device.

rewbs

Quote from: "bero"can you take a short look at http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=226.0
maybe you also want to post your opinion
OK then... Technically there's no denying that:
. MPT is more mature and works better on old sytems
. BRT has some more modern features and mixes at higher precisions so theoretically provides better sound quality.
Considering sound quality is such a subjective issue, the best a developer can do is work towards theoretical quality and make things as confiruable as possible. I'm very happy Poser prefers the sound of his track on OpenMPT, but of course it's 1 track and 1 listener. I don't think people should be offended by his opinion no matter how he presents it.

I personally think BRT is a great piece of software. I'm sad it is closed source - best of luck with the commercial ventures.
Many features already present in BRT (and, let's not forget, in many other music production platforms too - BRT is great but not groundbreaking) will eventually makes their way into OpenMPT. But rest assured that everything you love about MPT will always remain available.

Poser

Quote from: "Squirrel Havoc"You wanna know what's funny? This talk that MPT is better than BeRo made me want to check out BeRo, so I did. I think that's the opposite effect from what Poser was going for :) Of course, I can't compare the 2, BeRo has no audio output on my computer :(

On this reason i also tested BeRoTracker and I was a little bit disappointed,
because the tracker don't keep the promises. Funny that this test cause
other users to try it too ;)

BeRo

I've exported with MPT und BRT 3 Tracks now and encoded to OGGs with 192 kbps +/- (VBR).
The MPT OGGs are with the best settings exported, which MPT can, as resampling method: Polyphose FIR (this is beter thab the XMMS-Modplug WIndowedFIR algo, because Polyphsae FIR is an optimization of WindowedFIR (see Google) )
The BRT OGGs are with the third best resampling method (FastSINC256) exported, because FastSINC512 and 1024 are for me too slow for a fast export of these three tracks.
Here the link: http://bero.freqvibez.net/BeRoTracker/Tests/

I will tomorrow (or in some hours) make again 3 exports, but then with settings, that are for realtime use.

Poser

Hm why is the ModPlug-track not normalized? ;)

OGG: With this low volume of course we can't compare it :-)

BeRo

Quote from: "Poser"Hm why is the ModPlug-track not normalized? ;)

OGG: With this low volume of course we can't compare it :-)

Because I've not found this option in the OpenMPT  1.17RC2 WAV export dialog. But you can export these track again with normalization.

As a hint: The Windows-look GUI is already in the deprecated state since some weeks, because they have too many problems. (See for example http://www.berotracker.de/portal/zeige_thread.php?id=326 http://www.berotracker.de/portal/zeige_thread.php?id=173  ).

You can find fhe new variant with the new GUI at:

http://www.berotracker.de/downloads/testing/BeRoTracker.exe + http://www.berotracker.de/downloads/testing/BeRoTrackerConfiguration.exe
and optional the Font editor http://www.berotracker.de/downloads/testing/BRTFE.exe  

This new GUI works now only with ini files (no registry entries for program options). THe new GUI will be later also as "native" linux (and maybe also macosx) build available. My GUI engine uses OpenGL for rendering. It's ImpulseTracker like and still very incomplete.