Controlling VST parameters

Started by arinlares, October 29, 2008, 07:45:29

Previous topic - Next topic

arinlares

I am trying to control the volume of a particular VST instrument, but, as i read in the Wiki, i can't do it using the built-in mod effects.  I tried setting a macro, but can't quite get that one to work, either.  I'm trying to get a volume slider to go up or down, hopefully controlled by the macro command in the pattern, any help?

bvanoudtshoorn

So just using vxx commands in the volume column doesn't work? If the volume doesn't actually change the tone of the sound, you can alter the plugin's wet/dry values by going to the instrument that's associated with your plug and selecting "Note Velocity -> Process as volume" and "Volume Command Effect -> Dry/Wet Ratio".

LPChip

DO NOTE!!!

If you change the vXX in the volume effect it has 2 different meanings.

With a note, it changes the velocity (volume for that note) if you do it without, it will change the wet/dry ratio (volume for the plugin).

The big difference is, that the last one keeps in effect even when a new note is being played with a v64.

You can also control the wet/dry ratio using Zxx macro's. If you can, its preferred. Zxx in combination with note V64 commands works best.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

arinlares

ok, the Vxx command is exactly what I was looking for (should have checked the manual).  also, i couldn't find a "Note Velocity" selection anywhere on any of my plugins or in the corresponding instruments.

arinlares

well, i also tried doing macros, as per the instructions in the wiki, got this, and can't seem to get it to work.  any suggestions?

Edit by mod: Fixed url

LPChip

Its kinda hard to tell you why it isn't working since I don't know what you tried and what not. If I follow the instructions given there, it works for me.

Some tips: In the Zxx dialog, there's are buttons called SF0-F. Note the number before the row you entered your effect in. Did you also put that SFx command in the pattern prior to assigning values?

Did you set it to plugin: control wet/dry ratio?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

arinlares

ok, i set it to plugin: control wet/dry ratio and it worked.  on the tutorial, i put SF1 in because the instrument was in FX1, but tried using MIDICC control, and controlling CC10 when I didn't get any results.  so the wet/dry control worked, but the MIDICC didn't.  did what you said, LPChip, and it worked. thanks.

LPChip

You don't have to use SF1 if you are using FX1. The SF1 is just linked to the effect you have to use in the patterneditor to get to control this value.

Good to hear that you fixed it. :)