how do you mixdown tracks created with modplug?

Started by mixdown, December 18, 2005, 18:58:59

Previous topic - Next topic

mixdown

a good track needs of course a good mixdown...

yes you can add to each channel an eq-plugin, but that's not clearly enough
and bacome difficult if you use more than one plugin on a channel.

so i decided to add only effects like reverb/delay/chorus/flanger to the channels (but no eq),
save each channel into an single .wav-file und load-in this into "n-track" to mixdown (eq'ed) it...

modplug is cool, but if you want to mixdown a song you have to see all channels with
it's eq-settings on one screen....

how do you mixdown the songs?

i think with n-track it's a good way (but no the easiest way too).

check out this screenshot if you dont' know what i'm talkin about:

LPChip

Its not that hard to mix your track with modplug, really. I do it too. Only the end master is where I use an audio editor, to master the track itself.

You can have as many VST instance open for tweaking as your processor allows.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

mixdown

in summary it makes absolutly no fun to mixdown a song with modplug...

you have to load-in the same eq-plugin 16 times for a 16-channel-song
because every channel needs other eq-settings.

ok then you have to add the eq to every channel but if there is used
an effect on the channel you have to output the eq-plugin circular to the
other effect "below"...

mixdown

a friend got an good idea:

1) you can select an eq-plugin of your choice
2) this eq-plugin is available on ALL channels (on each channel the same plugin, but different settings)

it makes no fun to produce a track when you can't easy change the eq for each channel

while composing a track i want to hear the track like he sounds in the end...

actually you have to produce your track and eq him later...

rewbs

So your suggestion would be: chose a plugin and MPT would automatically create e.g. 32 instances and assign 1 to each channel? What about VSTis, would we add an instance after each of those too? and how would you control where the EQ gets added in existing chains of effects?
(btw mixdown, were you "poser" on the old forums? I ask because you are requesting the same things in the same way.)

Rakib

Or... we can just add an internal mixer to modplug tracker?
^^

yessa

yup just another tool which is only for mixing down modplug-tracks :-)

this don't have to be complex, just selecting the wav-files, add an eq und mix down it...

but this tool also should save the settings for a track for later use again.

once again

Quote from: "Rakib"Or... we can just add an internal mixer to modplug tracker?

no we can't! :) someone requested this feature months ago but it was refused...

reason: every user likes an other eq-plugin so there can't be an internal mixer with an fixed eq-plugin in mpt

i like the idea of this... a build-in mixer... but the user should then decide WHICH eq-plugin he would use

Sam_Zen

I use OMPT as the basic tool to create a compo. I don't demand from modplug to make a detailed final mixdown.
There are other apps, multitrack mixers, that will do this job, with much more control.
I usually export a specific group of pattern-channels of the song, mainly stereo-pairs, (by muting the other channels)  into a WAV-file. So a 12-channel module would give 6 stereo-tracks, which I load into a multitrack-session, to make the final mix.

xxxxx

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I don't demand from modplug to make a detailed final mixdown.

Very oldskool! You create a track and if he is complete you first hear how he really sounds when you equing it :-)

A modular plugin-manager is a must, also a build-in mixer... don't know where the problem for this is...

In all other music creating tools this is standard...

hematurge

You guys could really benefit by checking out the mixer in FL Studio 5. They way it's designed you can use any plug in you want.
At least two thirds of our miseries spring from human stupidity, human malice and those great motivators and justifiers of malice and stupidity, idealism, dogmatism and proselytizing zeal on behalf of religious or political idols. - Aldous Huxley

LPChip

Quote from: "hematurge"You guys could really benefit by checking out the mixer in FL Studio 5. They way it's designed you can use any plug in you want.

But FL is a sequencer. This kind of mixer is designed for sequencers. MPT is not a sequencer but a tracker. Now, I'm not saying that it is not possible (although it probably requires to rewrite the entire infrastructure which is a tremendous task), but its not what a tracker is designed to do. Remember: a tracker used to be a music tool for small songs that can be distributed. With export capabilities and VST effect, this has been extended above amature levels, but we should be aware of the fact that large changes can change the program to beyond being a tracker and so versatile that it becomes unstable and slow etc...

However, Rewbs will have the final word about adding or not adding a feature. I'd rather have a stable program that doesn't crash and can run vst's than a program that can only run 1 vst because its so rich of features that cpu can't handle the rest.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

Quote from: "xxxxx"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"I don't demand from modplug to make a detailed final mixdown.

Very oldskool! You create a track and if he is complete you first hear how he really sounds when you equing it :-)

A modular plugin-manager is a must, also a build-in mixer... don't know where the problem for this is...

In all other music creating tools this is standard...

"all" is a definition that speads too much programs to be even near true. The more popular programs where you must PAY for indeed have a build-in mixer per track, but they were build with another purpose in mind. A modular system is a to-do but is a tedious task, and far from possible at this stage.

MisterX

Quote from: "mixdown"how do you mixdown the songs?

I use the Instrument Tree to Solo the instruments that I want to be together in a channel, and then Save the song as a WAV file named for the instruments.  For example:

Instruments "Violins, Violins Pizzicato, Violins Warm" may be solo-ed in the Instrument tree and then saved as "Violins.wav".

Once I have all of the files that I need, I can load it into WaveLab, Cool Edit Pro, N-Track, or whatever multi-track editor to do the mixdown.

MPT should be treated more like an instrument itself and less like a production studio, IMHO.  The sound that comes out of an instrument is rarely what you actually hear on a final track that has been mixed and mastered, so MPT's output should be treated no differently.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

speed-goddamn-focus

The "problem" with adding such a mixer is i.m.o. that sample based and plugin based instruments are so integrated. But sample based instruments gets mixed depending on what channel they're played in, while plugin based instruments are mixed on a per instrument basis. the best solution I can come up with would be removing the channels, not in the editor obviously, but nothing would be channel specific. That's quite a big change, and perhaps it would be better to start from scratch. OpenMPT2 anyone?