Barryvan Compo: Round 6 Begins!

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, March 31, 2008, 06:34:11

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Only one week left to vote in for the Barryvan Compo! Head over to the site and cast your vote!

bvanoudtshoorn

Less than 24 hours of voting left!

...And I'm still desperately short of votes! C'mon - get your votes in, and make your voice heard!

The Barryvan Compo

bvanoudtshoorn

The results are in!
In an incredibly close set of results, Space Walk has just managed to nose into the lead with 16 points, followed closely by aGp (14 points), who is in turn followed just as closely by Sam_Zen (12 points). Congratulations to all three!

Round Three Open!
Round three is now officially open! The inspiration this round is actually a short extract from a piece of music - Bach's Little Fugue in G Minor (BWV 578). You can do whatever you like to this - remix it, use snatches of it here and there, mathematically derive stuff from it, anything! It's an inspiration, not a restriction.

It's available as an image, a MIDI file, an MP3, and an IT.

Happy composing, and be sure to get your entries in by the 15th of May!

Sam_Zen

Great, Barry!
Nice concept with those four representations. Quite inspirational.

Nahkranoth

Aww, crap! I've just noticed that the compo is over and I forgot to vote!!!
aGp, you get my unofficial vote nonetheless :D That's a $###load of work you've done!

aGIANTpupafish

thank you for your unnofficial vote nahkranoth ^_^ im hoping u remember and have time to enter and vote next round!
two weeks off school meant i had a bit more time for writing :D

and btw barryvan, if this is easy to implement (don't bother if it's not :p) then i think it would be pretty nifty for the artist's to see the voters' comments (kinda like the soundevotion compo, but maybe only show the comments after the voting deadline because results are influenced by them imo) as feedback is always very good.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

bvanoudtshoorn

Nice idea, aGp. When I have time, I'll put in an extended view of each set of results, which shows the full inspiration and the (anonymised) comments. It's all sitting there in the database... :)

BTW, I've fixed the RSS feed now - for some reason it wasn't working before, so it should be easier to keep track of what's happening with the compo.

bvanoudtshoorn

Only five days left to enter! (And no entries yet...:()

Enter now!

Nahkranoth

Honestly, I wanted to enter and even began writing, but I ended just copying the whole damn thing and I can't add nothing more no matter how I try. That fugue is so beautiful I even don't want to. Perhaps 15 days is not enough for the compo? (for me?)

bvanoudtshoorn

Due to popular demand, I've made the entry period for the contest three weeks, and the voting period one week. This means that for round three, the deadline for entry is now the 22nd of May.

If any of the entrants so far would like to resubmit their entries, they are free to do so - just send me an email.

bvanoudtshoorn

Sam_Zen

Site to upload was hacked again so I present my second submission here.
It's again a mix of bitmap to sound conversion plus samples with the module format.
The bitmap source is a modulation too of graphic material.
The composed sound can be found here

bvanoudtshoorn

Thanks S_Z. I've amended your entry in the database to use your updated file and description. Is the title still the same, or would you like me to change that?

Sam_Zen

It's not meant to be an updated file, but as a second entry.
The title of the first one is "Fugz", of the second one "Fuga 4".

bvanoudtshoorn

Oh, I see. Unfortunately, I can only allow one entry per person, Sam_Zen. :( So you'll have to choose which one you want to enter. Let me know which. Sorry that I didn't make that clearer to start with.