Really cool video about the mixing stage in music creation.

Started by LPChip, April 12, 2008, 19:22:11

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Gearwire recently added this interview with a sound recording studio.

Be sure to check it out, as its awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4jRQ20De4g
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Louigi Verona

What if I am working with music, I mix it digitally and I get the sound which I want?

älskling

Obviously there has to be something wrong with you Louigi! ;)

But to be more serious, those guys really need to work on their microphone technique.

Louigi Verona

Hehe! Indeed
Though I wouldn't mind owing the Ocean Way drum sample collection which they sell.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "älskling"But to be more serious, those guys really need to work on their microphone technique.
That was also the first thing i thought... :lol:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Yep, I noticed the poor mike-handling of the interviewer too, but that's not the main issue here.
Thanks LPChip, for this interesting hint.
I wrote before on this forum about the loss of dynamics being the main problem with MP3 compression, not 'sound quality'.

As the guy says : it's not that making it a MP3 doesn't matter, it's the opposite.
And he had a nice suggestion for giving a recording more 'punch' :
Make a seperate compressed file, and mix it with the original.

Another nice comment at the end : when it's all loud, it's no fun.

Louigi Verona

I am generally depressed by that kind of stuff, because I am often being told that my sound is not good enough yet I don't have the skill (and interest in sound engineering) to get good sound.

On the other hand, I am more of a composer than an all in one.

LPChip

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"I am generally depressed by that kind of stuff, because I am often being told that my sound is not good enough yet I don't have the skill (and interest in sound engineering) to get good sound.

On the other hand, I am more of a composer than an all in one.

I know how you feel. But there's a nice thing as learning through subcontiousness.

If you just look to alot of video's, something will stick somewhere in your grey mass XD

You'll learn a little bit anyway, and that helps you to become better when you experiment.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Never mind, Louigi. If you just want to compose things, but don't mind about the reproduction, fine by me.
A 'good sound' doesn't have impact on the core composition. Which holds the real quality.
Public impression is another story, and indeed another skill.

residentgrey

Quote from: "LPChip"If you just look to alot of video's, something will stick somewhere in your grey mass XD
Brain meats ftw!

They are right crazy amounts of exposure is the answer.
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Louigi Verona

Of course, with experience your sound does get better. But at that rate I'll be a pro when I turn 96 or smth =)

Sam_Zen

A 'better sound' is a vague concept.
And experience is not enough.
It needs the will to keep on learning, to be able to improve the resulting sound being closer to the intention of the maker.
If so, one could say 'It's a bit better'.

Be patient Louigi, I'm 63 and still don't feel a 'pro' (whatever that may be). :)

älskling

Quote from: "Louigi Verona"I am often being told that my sound is not good enough
Your sound is groin-grabbingly great.