.48 Instrument Library VSTi crash

Started by älskling, March 17, 2008, 23:34:15

Previous topic - Next topic

älskling

Full Version:
    OpenMPT v1.17.02.48
Description of the bug:
    If you try to browse the instruments of a module with the instrument library and the module contains VST instruments modplug crashes with an exception error
How often does it happen?:
    Once per attempt
How to reproduce (step by step description):
[list=1]
  • Open OpenMPT
  • Expand the Instrument Library in the TreeView
  • Navigate in the Instrument Library to a folder containing a module that uses VST instruments
  • Double click on a module containing VST instruments to browse its instuments
  • Behold the "Exception while trying to create plugin" error
  • Watch OpenMPT close as you click OK
  • Cry over spilt milk
  • GOTO 1
    [/list:o]

LPChip

I've done similar things in the past and never got a crash. (even with build .48)

So I think we need to see if we can narrow it down a little bit.

Does it happen with all VSTi plugins? My songs only use Xlutop Chainer, which could be why I don't have this problem.

Does it also happens if there's a VST effect on the chain with normal sample based sounds?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

älskling

Quote from: "LPChip"I've done similar things in the past and never got a crash. (even with build .48)
I can confirm that doing similar things as opposed to exactly the same thing won't make OpenMPT crash. Try it without any songs open.

Quote from: "LPChip"Does it happen with all VSTi plugins?
It happens with all I've tried. (farbrausch V2, tb peach, tb toad, tb monomoachine, tb triforce, cheeze machine)

Quote from: "LPChip"My songs only use Xlutop Chainer, which could be why I don't have this problem.
I don't think it matters, but I haven't tried it so I wouldn't know.

Quote from: "LPChip"Does it also happens if there's a VST effect on the chain with normal sample based sounds?
If by that you mean applying an effect to a channel, then no.

Relabsoluness

älskling should be banned for trying set bug reproducers into infinite loop. Fortunately(?) I avoided that and can confirm the bug.

Relabsoluness

There also appeared to be rather significant memory leak in the treeview which is there already in 1.16. One can easily end up spending hundreds of MBs simply by opening sufficiently many mods for the instrument library view.

älskling

You were sly to avoid the infinite loop. Perhaps next time... Mwahahahaha!

Oh, and the bug is fixed with .51, thank you for a job well done!