.50 "Rearrange samples" is very buggy

Started by Saga Musix, January 31, 2008, 14:39:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.50

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
Yes, since it was introduced

Description of the bug:
Some samples will be lost in certain modules when rearranging samples using this cleanup function.

How often does it happen?:
in some modules

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Testcase
Rearrange samples for a first time. You will see that 2 samples will be deleted for no reason (samples should only be rearragned, right?) and there's still plenty of space between every single sample. doing this a second time makes it even worse.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Hmm. Before even testing this, I find this file having quite an extraordinary organization.

Only the first 3 patterns of the 197 have some content.
There are 5 different samples scattered placed in a range of 51. (positions 04-35-48-49-51)
All with the same name "SPC sample" and with the same source "ITSAMPLE.ITS"
(What's this .its format, by the way?)

Did rearrange samples. Can't confirm the deletions.

Snu

hey! i recognize that tune! still, i would have converted the intro or something :p
and wow, something is definitely screwy with the rearrange samples function...

by the way sam, this is an spc file converted to a .it by openspc.  spc files are super nintendo music, and they really are more akin to midi files with embedded samples than to modules - thus openspc doesnt do a very good job at converting them.

Saga Musix

Snu, thanks for the feedback, I converted all tunes tunes to IT (too bad that the vocals won't work because of certain SPC limitations, also the Mystic Forest does not work too well), so I just picked one of the smaller tunes from Tales of Phantasia. ;) OpenSPC does even a quite good conversion for most tunes.

Btw, here are some of my favourite tunes from that game in IT format. Too bad that the nice SNES reverb is missing and that the voice does not work :( some other problems aswell, but that's not why i'm posting them :) it's just to show that it happens with many modules, it also happened with my own modules before.
ToP IT Pack

EDIT: For those who are interested: Tales of Phantasia Intro (OGG), the very first game on the  SuperNES that had speech and singing! Note that it's a bit glitchy since I am not able to record from ZSNESW without glitches...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Solly for my mistake in testing : I did 'clean samples' instead of rearranging.
Bug confirmed with "Yume-wa Owaranai.it". 2 samples removed indeed.
The order in the list stays correct, but for some reason nr 35 and 59 (last) are missing.
The original has two 'dummy' samples at nr 01 and 02, the rearranged one has three of those at 11, 13 and 26.

Another rearrange command is decreasing the mess indeed.
Not only more and more samples are missing, but also the order in the 'Num' columns goes berserk.
This is a screenshot of the bottom of the Comments tab after 4 times re-arrange :

This list with missing Num-numbers is corrected when saving the file and opening it again.
This is the list after opening a 5 times re-arranged file :

Suddenly the 'dummy' samples got a name : "PC sample".

Another aspect which is striking as a result of this conversion is the variety of frequencies in the 'C5 freq' column.
Listening to the result of each action was quite interesting. This is left after 4 rearrangements, starting after 29 secs of silence :
http://www.louigiverona.com/webarchive/samzen/download/oggs/Yume-wa4.ogg

Snu

Quote from: "Jojo"Btw, here are some of my favourite tunes from that game in IT format.
why not just listen to the spc files?

QuoteNote that it's a bit glitchy since I am not able to record from ZSNESW without glitches...
i am :)
http://www.snuq.com/temp/Tales%20Of%20Phantasia%20(SNES)%20-%20Yume%20Wa%20Owaranai.mp3
tho, i did have to try it a few times before it worked

hmm, seems the forum software doesnt like parenthesis in urls... the 'snes' in the file name is there because i also have an mp3 of the psx version's intro, and being in the same directory...

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Suddenly the 'dummy' samples got a name : "PC sample".
this brings up another bug that has been present for quite some time - sometimes removing samples wont fully delete the sample name, it will appear to be gone at first, but after a reload the name will reappear with the first letter gone... strange, but it reminds me of old undelete utilities where the first letter of the file would be gone when the file was deleted.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Snu"
Quote from: "Jojo"Btw, here are some of my favourite tunes from that game in IT format.
why not just listen to the spc files?
i actually do that, but i wnated to mess around a bit with the IT conversions, mainly looking at the samples the game used... ;)
Actually, I use in-game recordings since some of the SPCs have bad samples and skipping around in XMplay makes the playback going mad sometimes.

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Suddenly the 'dummy' samples got a name : "PC sample".
this brings up another bug that has been present for quite some time - sometimes removing samples wont fully delete the sample name, it will appear to be gone at first, but after a reload the name will reappear with the first letter gone... strange, but it reminds me of old undelete utilities where the first letter of the file would be gone when the file was deleted.
yep, i wonder why i never reported that bug... probably i got used to it :D