Technical questions on soundfont drum pack.

Started by oroszr, January 27, 2008, 22:34:59

Previous topic - Next topic

oroszr

Hi,

I've been using MPT for 7 or 8 years now, mainly for drums sequencing. I always worked with WAV files but as I read through some topics it seems many users prefer soundfonts run by VSTi.
I downloaded the 'ns_kit7free' and run it with the SFZ VSTi.

As the ultimate goal is creating a drum track close to reality (fast metal reality :D  ), that means lots of random features. I need to decide which method is better for that, idependent WAV files or soundfonts. So I have some questions I could not find answers to yet...

1. Is there a way in MPT to randomly use the samples of an instrument? This would be a winner, slight alterations of the same sample mapped to the same percussion instrument and picked randomly.

2. If I use the PC keys to enter notes from a soundfont, which velocity layer will be picked? The loudest? Always?

3. It seems the random variation options do not work with this VSTi soundfont. Is that right? Does that mean it is an 'as is' intrument and cannot be affected at all in MPT?

4. How can you kill the sound of a long decay soundfont (crash)? The standard tracker solutions do not seem to work.

5. How can I emulate accentuation of soundfont cymbals with PC keys?

Thanks in advance.

bvanoudtshoorn

Hiya, and welcome! :)

1. I don't think MPT can randomly trigger samples, unfortunately. This is more of a sampler feature.

2. It depends on the "default volume" you've set up in the instrument view. With this, recording live from the PC keyboard will give you that volume, and hitting the keys (without recording, or while entering data) will sound that volume. Remember, though, that in the pattern editor, it won't automatically put this volume message in for you.

3. I dunno... Sorry!

4. It should respond correctly to both ^^ and == commands...

5. I don't quite know what you're asking here...

For the features you're looking for, and if you can afford it, I'd recommend getting something like Native Instruments Battery. (And yes, someone's written a version of ns_kit7 for it! :D)

KrazyKatz

The sf2 soundfonts aren't as up to date as modern VSTi's. So first off I'd recommend looking into a VSTi Drum-kit which will solve some of your problems. Most of my experience is with VSTi's, so I'll clue you in on what I know.

Quote1. Is there a way in MPT to randomly use the samples of an instrument? This would be a winner, slight alterations of the same sample mapped to the same percussion instrument and picked randomly.

Not to my knowledge for sf2 ( Don't quote me on that though ). However modern VSTi's have a 'round robin' feature which work within MPT. But that is specific to the VSTi itself, so check it out.

Quote2. If I use the PC keys to enter notes from a soundfont, which velocity layer will be picked? The loudest? Always?

Yes. Default is highest volume ( 64 ). However with VSTi's, changing the volume will make it choose other relevant velocities. However keep in mind: Modern Velocities are split into 127 layers. MPT calculates it based on 64 layers, but the effects are the same. Simply choose your velocity in mind and divide by 2.

Quote3. It seems the random variation options do not work with this VSTi soundfont. Is that right? Does that mean it is an 'as is' intrument and cannot be affected at all in MPT?

I'm not sure what you're saying..

Quote4. How can you kill the sound of a long decay soundfont (crash)? The standard tracker solutions do not seem to work.

You're right. Fade volume controls don't work. Making it a bloody nuisance. Try fading the "channel volume (Mxx) " control. Also learn about Zxx settings.

Quote5. How can I emulate accentuation of soundfont cymbals with PC keys?

With difficulty. If I understand correctly what you're asking for is a fade in of velocity layers to give you a crescendo cymbal. Even on sequencers this is problematic. I simply suggest you have crescendo samples which all Good Drum VSTi's should have. You could also make your own by reversing crash cymbals.

Yes there is some ways to go on improving MPT.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

Quote3. It seems the random variation options do not work with this VSTi soundfont. Is that right? Does that mean it is an 'as is' intrument and cannot be affected at all in MPT?
Do you mean he random volume/panning/cutoff stuff? I have not tested this myself, but the cutoff ("filters") should definitely not work with VSTis, but theoretically, random volume and panning should work (dunno if it is passed to plugins, though, but it should).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vedus

I'd say your best bet is to get a good quality drum VSTi. I used to use a combination of NS_Free kits and it worked but I never got the sound out of it I wanted to. I know a couple people who are huge fans of Drumkit From Hell. The samples are a little too raw for me and I'm not interested in tweaking drums for hours on end (even if it is good enough for Meshuggah). I use Addictive Drums and it's been bliss.

You can pick up a basic version of DFH for around $100 US. The full DFH Superior is around $250. Addictive Drums is $250 but there's a free demo version you can download. It's limited to a kick, a snare, a hat, and a crash, but it'd be good to try it out. You might even be able to make it work on a very limited basis using cymbal and tom wav samples to augment the sound.

The biggest things you'd notice with either of these:

Random hits, each drum has a number of samples in a velocity range so you get a more random sound.
The ability to choke cymbals. Pound on that splash and the choke it.
Customizability. In either you've got a huge range of options to tweak sounds to get them sounding just how you'd like them.