Format conversions

Started by Sam_Zen, December 20, 2007, 05:49:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

If e.g. a MOD file is opened in OMPT, one can change the format with General/Song Properties, and save it like that.
So one has to assume that all codes are properly translated in the patterns. And I think it does.
Other elements could behave differently.
If starting with a 4Ch MOD file :
This format has a standard channel panning of each group of four : L-R-R-L, or as initial pan : 64-192-192-64.
(of course overruling panning codes of the samples are possible in the patterns)

But now saving as XM file :
Direct after changing Song Properties, it plays correctly, but if saved and opened, all initial pans are 128 again.
Since there's no global pan value of a sample in a MOD, it can't be transferred to the related instrument pan-setting.
So the XM will be all mono, without further editing.

Saving the MOD as IT file :
Seems correct. IT keeps the initial pan : 64-192-192-64. And sounds the same.

LPChip

What happens if you open the MOD file and save as IT to maintain the panning, then close OpenMPT, open it and load the IT file to convert as XM, does it then transfer the pannings? Because perhaps this is a limitation of the XM format.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Easy answer: There is no channel panning in XM files. Every single XM sample has its own panning setting which may be overriden ONLY by panning effects in the volume / fx column.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

älskling

Is this a question or just a random statement?

Saga Musix

i guess it was a question concerning the XM part.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Neither a question or a statement from my part.
As a matter of fact, I had my doubts whether I should place this thread here, or in the techdocs.
I just wanted to investigate this, with all the various combinations involved.
And, if any dips in the conversion, how to solve it.

Quote from: "LPChip"load the IT file to convert as XM, does it then transfer the pannings?
IT does transfer the initial channel pannings to XM too, but also only during the same session.
(It's enough to close and open the file, OMPT can stay on)
This is an odd thing with XM. One can use those faders, but cannot save the settings.
But that's why they're not greyed out.

Saga Musix

As said, the answer is so simple: XM does not have panning settings since every instrument has its own panning. Panning tables should be greyed out for XM files since they simply do not exist.

Sam_Zen

I agree about greying out.

I wrote "One can use those faders" during a session, but that's only valid after a MOD 2 XM conversion.
With a regular XM, the instruments have their pan-settings, and changing those faders don't have influence on this.