[Athmospheric Post-Rock] Interstellar - Damage EP (.MP3)

Started by dBlues, December 03, 2007, 10:44:33

Previous topic - Next topic

dBlues

First release of Interstellar is out, it is called "Damage" !!

Downloads:
http://www.mikseri.net/artists/?id=101617

Composed in Modplug, with passion and love to music. Dig it or hate it!

-dBlues
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

Sam_Zen

I found two files : "Interstellar - Pilot.mp3" and "Interstellar - The Desert People.mp3".
I first wondered which one is "Damage" ? Or both ? But I see now that's the album title.

Since they were track 2 and 1, I first made the correct playlist-order to listen to it.
Great. Nice attention to details. Excellent production.
Pilot : The piano at the left maybe a bit too static in sound, for example 0:52 - 1:18. Nice guitar-solos.
A wellmade balance between song-developments within and duration.

OT: With productions like this, I always find it a pity, that it's still not common to produce quad-files.
In this case you have the band, with its own panorama production including own reverbs, etc.
And you have the voice, with its own settings of hall, effect and L-R panorama.
In stereo, soon the voice is 'drowning' in the big and powerful soup of the band.
If this would come from a second stereo-pair, of course in some 2-D mix, it would enhance
the 'strength' of the text.

(I came upon this, because I made a mistake converting the mp3s to the ogg-format, which is my standard procedure before listening. 'Mono' save mode appeared to be enabled, so at first listen, it was even more difficult to distinguish the sung text amongst the song. Before I discovered that mistake.)

aGIANTpupafish

if this is an EP or album you ought to say so in the post title :P

the desert people - really really good.  i take it you record your own guitars, or those samples are amazing!
you have a nice mellow voice!  very impressive overall

pilot - excellent.

i also find the vocals a little weak in the mix at times.

i enjoyed these both greatly.  keep it up.
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Sam_Zen

Forgot to ask : Is this maybe inspired by the 'Dune' story ?

dBlues

Gentlemen, thanks for the feedback! The vocals problem is noted, and yes I played the guitars, they are authentic. We both compose, I mixed/mastered the songs, and my friend Tuomas is the singer.

dBlues

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Forgot to ask : Is this maybe inspired by the 'Dune' story ?

Good observation, so it is.

aGIANTpupafish

really? my tune desert winds was inspired by the descriptions of the desert from that book.  coincidence or what, eh?
Quote from: "KrazyKatz"Yah, It reminds me of MAD magazine where the farm guys are playing music on a broom with string, a clothes cleaner, a jug until the angry house wife comes and takes all her cleaning stuff.

Relabsoluness

These tunes have found their way on the playlist time after time - good tunes indeed.

dBlues

Quote from: "aGIANTpupafish"really? my tune desert winds was inspired by the descriptions of the desert from that book.  coincidence or what, eh?

:) Great book indeed.

Harbinger

To me the best tracking is done so that you can't tell that it was tracked. Rather, a well-tracked composition seems that the musicians got together in the studio, layed down their parts (flaws and all), then the engineer cut-and-spliced it together with a mixing board and a couple or few reel-to-reels.

This song has that kind of production quality. I've only heard the "Desert People" track, but the music is hip, the lyrics are interesting without being offensive to my sensibilities, and i sense by the entire presentation that the artist(s) involved cared about what they were presenting. The theming was consistent and didn't send me into mood swings. I'm a big believer in immersive art, and this piece definitely sends me somewhere else.

Keep it up, dBlues!! :wink:

dBlues

We appreciate your comments, and as requested, there will be more soon!

Currently we are thinking about using more "electro" drumset, maybe combined with realistic drumset (a bit like Apollo 440 on "Electro glide in blue" but without real drummer).

-dBlues

Saga Musix

Finally found some time to listen to it. Those are absolutely great tunes! Indeed, the voice is a bit drowning in the mix, but  otherwise, it just sounds very great!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.