FT2 key behaviours needed

Started by Kmuland, October 31, 2007, 20:05:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Kmuland

Im redefining keyboard in MPT for match FT2 edit mode as close as possible.
There are a bunch of key behaviours that really would be needed to add in MPT for make it more FT2 user friendly.

.- A checkbox for enable spacebar key working like in FT2:
  (in play song mode) spacebar key stops the song
  (in stop mode) spacebar key toggles rec mode ON/OFF when pressed.

.- A new play "song" key for: "play song since row 00 of current pattern"

.- Define CTRL keys (set left ctrl and right ctrl).
FT2 uses right ctrl for play song and left ctrl+other keys for other shortcuts. Currently the MPT CTRL key left and right are the same key.. so if I define CTRL for play and I try to use ctrl+c for copy... when that key is pressed I play the song, but I cannt copy ;P (I think that you understand the problem)

.- A checkbox for enable the FT2 way of entering values into the volume and effect column.
Currently if I want to enter "25" in the volume cell.., when I press "2" a _2 appears and when I press "5" that change to 25.
The FT2 edit way doesnt have that "automatic cursor movement feature": If I want to enter "25" in FT2, I write "2", I move the cursor to the right and then I write "5".
Ok I know that its ancient way on entering data. Brainwashed FT2 users like me dont understand the IT/MPT way.  Sorry ;)

Snu

Quote from: "Kmuland"
i dont know if i follow, you mean like f6 but with the loop pattern turned off?

FT2 uses right ctrl for play song and left ctrl+other keys for other shortcuts. Currently the MPT CTRL key left and right are the same key.. so if I define CTRL for play and I try to use ctrl+c for copy... when that key is pressed I play the song, but I cannt copy ;P (I think that you understand the problem)
not a good idea, would require all the current keyboard preset files to be redone with shortcuts for both left and right ctrl key then, just set the play button to the windows key or the menu key, they are right next to ctrl.

.- A checkbox for enable the FT2 way of entering values into the volume and effect column.
Currently if I want to enter "25" in the volume cell.., when I press "2" a _2 appears and when I press "5" that change to 25.
The FT2 edit way doesnt have that "automatic cursor movement feature": If I want to enter "25" in FT2, I write "2", I move the cursor to the right and then I write "5".
Ok I know that its ancient way on entering data. Brainwashed FT2 users like me dont understand the IT/MPT way.  Sorry ;)
ok, you are weird...
well, i dont see how that option would be possible currently, since in the pattern editor, mpt treats both numbers as one unit - in other words, you cant select just the 2 or just the 5.  
its possible that would be easy to implement, but i would guess it would be fairly complex.

Kmuland

Quote from: "Snu"
i dont know if i follow, you mean like f6 but with the loop pattern turned off?

F6 play the song from first order in the sequencer list.
I need a play song key that play the song from current order in the sequencer list.. and also it plays since the 00row of the pattern

not a good idea, would require all the current keyboard preset files to be redone with shortcuts for both left and right ctrl key then, just set the play button to the windows key or the menu key, they are right next to ctrl.

Just a checkbox for enable Left_ctrl Right_ctrl.. so if you want to redefine MPT in the FT2 way.. you can use it.

I dont mean set Left_ctrl Right_ctrl as default. MPT users that are using these keys in same way would kill me and developers ;)

ok, you are weird...
well, i dont see how that option would be possible currently, since in the pattern editor, mpt treats both numbers as one unit - in other words, you cant select just the 2 or just the 5.  
its possible that would be easy to implement, but i would guess it would be fairly complex.

again a checkbox for that.. I dont mean set that option by default on MPT... only a Checkbox fop FT2 users.

I understand that for IT and MPT oldies that way of enter notes is "written in fire" in their minds... but for guys that come from Amiga protracker and PC FT2.. that way of entering notes makes us a bit crazy.

Note to coders:

PLz Understand that MPT are mainly used for guys that come from S3M/IT cause it was created by a IT user. FT2 users were a bit orphans of MPT cause the keys were all designed for S3M/IT guys..  and these key behaviours that Im noticing maked always trouble for protracker/FT2 guys.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Kmuland"F6 play the song from first order in the sequencer list.
I need a play song key that play the song from current order in the sequencer list.. and also it plays since the 00row of the pattern

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Kmuland

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "Kmuland"F6 play the song from first order in the sequencer list.

I need "play SONG from start of current pattern" not play PATTERN ;)

Saga Musix

you'd just have to remove the "loop pattern" thingy then...?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

you can assign the loop pattern checkbox to a on key release, and set it to the same key. That way it will do what you want. Note that multiple keys can be binded to the same object, and you can bind multiple keys, as long as you choose different items, such as : on key down and on key up.

I've used this to make a full screen key. On key down removes the treeview, on key up removes the toolbars. XD
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Kmuland

ok My problems seem gone. Thanks guys for the help!!!

I cannt assing play pattern and uncheck follow song with CTRL (seems a bug)... anyway I can use Enter Key for my request (I can get used to that)

With that Play song behaviour solved (using Enter Key).. I can Use now Crtl+c/v for copy paste without problerm .. so no need to rearrange the leftctrl and rightctrl keys

Currently I set Spacebar for stop song when press up and enable rec when press down and I can get used to it