Cooperative/chainletter chiptune experiment

Started by Waxhead, October 22, 2007, 01:08:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Waxhead

Hi folks!

Some time ago I suggested a cooperative module. I've made a little change to the idea and created a "start" with a pretty basic waveform.

It can be downloaded from here: http://www.dirtcellar.net/1voice/OneVoice2.it

Rules:
======
1. You must not alter any previous pattern.
2. You must not alter any setting on the instruments included
3. You are not allowed to add/remove samples.
4. You need to keep building on the previous pattern
5. This is a test of composing skills. Just keep on adding music

To make it simple. You have to continue the musical style (whatever it might evolve to) on the next pattern. Meaning you are now allowed to make a break to introduce a totally new style.
You may only add one pattern and you are only allowed to add notes NOT samples to it.

If you want to be part of this rather insane experiment please reply to this thread making it clear that you have downloaded the module and is working on adding a new pattern. A good template would be something like this:

THE MODULE IS MINE NOW!

First one to reply in this way "gets" the module.
No one else will be allowed to work on the module until the one who "has" it have returned it to me (sending it by email) and I have updated the file on my webserver and has stated in this thread: NEXT PLEASE ;)

email the module to music@dirtcellar.net

The goal is to create at least 10 patterns!

Ok folks come on , let's have some fun! I'm pretty sure this song will sound pretty ridiculous when we have >5 patterns ready hehe!

Remember that it's just a fun experiment. :D

edit: Bah I forgot to mention that you are allowed to add more channels ;)

LPChip

Oeh, what a nice experiment! I'm sure that I'll be participating in it.

I will not yet claim the song because I can't tell when I have time to work on it. If I find some time and the song is ready to be claimed, then I'll do so. :) Note that when I claim it, it shouldn't take long before I return it, simply because adding one pattern is something that takes me like 5 minutes or so. :D

Btw, have you considered using an upload place so that you can automate the process a bit?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

pelya

Quote from: "LPChip"
Btw, have you considered using an upload place so that you can automate the process a bit?
Like SourceForge or maybe Assembla :nuts: ? All participants will be notified by email if someone updates the song 8) . And don't hesitate to create SF project for just some single wacky song - there are projects there with much less effort stuffed in :P .

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"

Yep I had an idea to do a special page to handle this. But since I have other things to do right now it was not a high priority.
I figured that the forum is more than enough to keep track of this anyway. It's just a matter of checking the latest posts every now and then.

It will be interesting to see how people can build on my style and include their own twist on it. I guess it will be quite a interesting melody in the end!

(perhaps we can do a real song with "real" samples later if this is a success) ;)

LPChip

I hereby claim the module. :)

QuoteTHE MODULE IS MINE NOW!

EDIT: and I've finished my pattern.

If you're too curious, then download the version OneVoice2 (I saved as version OneVoice3.it) and add this pattern:

(copy the tiny text, and paste in modplug. If it doesn't work or goes strangelly, paste in notepad first.

ModPlug Tracker  IT
|D-601......|G-701......|A-701......|D-801......|C#901...F03
|...........|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|D-901g09H88
|E-601......|...........|...........|...........|........K0A
|E-501...D0F|G-701......|C#801......|E-701......|...........
|E-701...D0F|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|C#901......
|E-501...D0F|...........|...........|...........|...........
|D-701......|...........|...........|...........|A#801...SC3
|D-501......|...........|...........|...........|A#801...F02
|...........|E-701......|G-701......|B-701......|.........0A
|E-501......|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|...........
|E-701......|...........|...........|...........|E-701...SC3
|...........|...........|...........|...........|B-701...SC1
|E-501...D0F|G-701...D0F|B-701...DDF|G-801...D0F|E-801...SC3
|E-701...D0F|B-701...D0F|D-801...D0F|A-801...D0F|...........
|G-501......|...........|...........|...........|D-701...H88
|...........|...........|...........|...........|........K0A
|D-601......|G-701......|A-701......|D-801......|F#801...F03
|...........|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|G-801g09H88
|E-701...D0F|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|A-801......
|D-701......|...........|...........|...........|G-801...SC3
|D-501......|...........|...........|...........|G-801...F03
|E-701...D0F|E-701......|G-701......|B-701......|.........0A
|E-701...D0F|G-701...D0F|D-801...D0F|A-801...D0F|E-701...SC3
|E-801......|A-701...D0F|E-801...D0F|G-801...D0F|B-701...SC1
|...........|D-801...D0F|B-701...D0F|C#801...D0F|........K0A
|D-601......|G-701......|A-701......|D-801......|C#901...F03
|...........|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|D-901g09H88
|E-701...D0F|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|C#901......
|D-701......|...........|...........|...........|A#801...SC3
|D-501......|...........|...........|...........|A#801...F02
|...........|E-701......|G-701......|B-701......|.........0A
|E-701......|...........|...........|...........|E-701...SC3
|...........|...........|...........|...........|B-701...SC1
|...........|...........|...........|...........|........K0A
|D-601......|G-701......|A-701......|D-801......|F#901...F02
|...........|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|G-901g09H88
|E-701...D0F|........D0F|........D0F|........D0F|A-901......
|D-701......|...........|...........|...........|G-901...SC3
|D-501......|...........|...........|...........|G-901...F03
|E-701...D0F|E-701......|G-701......|B-701......|.........0A
|E-701...D0F|G-701...D0F|D-801...D0F|A-801...D0F|E-701...SC3
|E-801......|A-701...D0F|E-801...D0F|G-801...D0F|B-701...SC1
|...........|D-801...D0F|B-701...D0F|C#801...D0F|........K0A
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Waxhead

Quote from: "LPChip"I hereby claim the module. :)

Hmmm it should only be a matter of minutes now  :D

LPChip

Quote from: "Waxhead"
Quote from: "LPChip"I hereby claim the module. :)

Hmmm it should only be a matter of minutes now  :D

And it is! :D

Waxhead

Tune on webserver updated with LPChip's additions so it's time to shout:

NEXT PLEASE!

- LPChip: Wow you really nailed that ;) Superfunky !!! - Totaly blew my mind. I did NOT expect this! :D:D:D:D:D:D

LPChip

:) Glad you liked it.

Btw, I think this is too challenging for most, which might result in no other entries than mine. Chiptracking isn't something many people do here, and its one of my specialties.

Add the difficult rules and it becomes almost impossible for most people, especially since there's only one sample, and you cannot really change the song. It must be somehow based on the previous pattern. Too bad cus I have some nice ideas for this song/project but they're too different from what we have now. :P

Waxhead

Hehe ;) I don't think it will be to difficult for most people to be honest. If you can make music you can make a melody. Another cool project would be for one to create a few patterns and for another to put them together and making the transition - I think that's how Yellow works together.

Anyway you can do creative thing with a saw sample you know hehe, you can also add more channels, make more harmonics , change the "groove" or introduce new things to for example the bassline. I'm not sure it's to difficult now that you kicked off the experiment I think that we might see someone else here soon ;)

LPChip

Relabsoluness

This is a nice idea. But before I possibly take part(there really weren't any skill qualifications? :)), a question about the rules: did I understand it correctly that changing pattern row number is not allowed?

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"This is a nice idea. But before I possibly take part(there really weren't any skill qualifications? :)), a question about the rules: did I understand it correctly that changing pattern row number is not allowed?

I'd say no, because that would be in conflict in keeping the previous pattern in consistency. The idea clearly is to continue evolving the song.

Waxhead

Relabsoluness

THE MODULE IS MINE NOW! (funny how big letters and exclamation mark can make that look so aggressive :))