Just discovered VSTi's... Duh!

Started by DJShades, October 10, 2007, 15:40:13

Previous topic - Next topic

DJShades

For years (since the days of Protracker 2.4a on the Amiga!) I've often wondered what a tracker would be like if it were able to synthesise sounds. I've used ModPlug Tracker for a few years now and totally disregarded the VST capabilities, mainly due to not really knowing what they do!

Now I've just installed a few VSTi's and... Damn... Synths on a tracker!! COOL AS FUNK!!

Now I'm just left wondering how to get the most from them! I don't really have an understanding of how synths work (which can sometimes be good... random knob/parameter tweaking can produce some interesting sounds! Well, its always worked for me before!) but I'm not worried about that.

Before I used to just create a synth pattern in an external program... tweak it 'til it gave me what I want (and sometimes what I didn't want but sounded cool anyway!), convert it/sample it, and then import it into ModPlug.

Now though I'm faced with a whole new learning curve. I expected to be able to do some simple things using the existing, traditional, effects commands like adjusting the volume, creating pitch slides that sort of stuff but they don't affect the VSTi's at all.

Anybody got a pointers to get me going? Better still, has anybody got a simple-ish module I can listen to and look at, obviously I don't mind installing any (FREE?) VSTi's that would be required.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

DJ Shades

LPChip

Its not really that easy to create your own presets and learning this way of synthesis. It depends on the plugin's capability too.

You could search for FM synthesis to learn about VSTi's in general. Most VSTi's will use the FM Synthesis techniques. I'm not sure if the document in technical documents still exists (becaues it was posted before the crash, but not sure if it was recovered after too)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

vsti effects are a little more complex than standard tracker effects, you have to use macros, and what you can do depends on the vsti.
however, you can use macros to set volume or pitch, or control any of the vsti's parameters within the pattern.
a little info on this:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=1350.0

also, a good topic with some free vsti's:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=332.0

as for simple vsti... you might like one called 'abacus', its controls are very abstract. 'vurtbox' is pretty amazing too, also abstract. both are at www.krakli.co.uk
they also have some other nice plugins, and some abstract ones, ranging in complexity.
if you really want to learn about synth tho, id suggest getting something like 'crystal' (definitley NOT simple, but with a ton of presets and well marked options - and its a typical subtractive synth) and just play with the different settings to see what each thing does.
there are probably a lot of tutorials online about synth also, most synths follow two basic models: subtractive and fm.  once you learn how the basics work, you can use most synthesizers.

seventhson

@LPchip I hope you mean subtractive synthesis which most common synths use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis

@TS my advise would be to get a synth that doesn't have a gazillion features and knobs but is very basic to program,something like synth1.
Twist the knobs and hear how they impact the sound,and have look at the presets to see how certain sounds are made.
http://www.geocities.jp/daichi1969/softsynth/

LPChip

Quote from: "seventhson"@LPchip I hope you mean subtractive synthesis which most common synths use.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis

Well as far as I know, FM synthesis includes substractive synthesis. So I thought it would be better to get into FM Synthesis, because then you'll understand substractive and addictive synthesis too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Here are a few things you can do with vstis in mpt. Well, some of them, anyway. =P

* Send vxx commands (but only when you're triggering a note)
* Send exx and fxx volume fx as pitch bends (but only when you're triggering a note)
* Control any other param, at any time, using SFx to select the param, and Zxx or \xx to modulate it.

Although some synths won't pick up on vxx and exx/fxx commands, 99.9% will allow you to adjust their parameters using macros (SFx, Zxx, \xx).

For more info, check out the wiki: http://openmpt.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Manual/Plugins

residentgrey

Quote from: "LPChip"...because then you'll understand substractive and addictive synthesis too.

Yeah it can be pretty addictive! LOL

Also krakli is ok, but they all use the same type of engine for the sounds, i like the spooky one tho!
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

LPChip

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"
* Send exx and fxx volume fx as pitch bends (but only when you're triggering a note)

That is not true. You can use a Exx or Fxx effect at any time, as long as you specify the value, and not 00. I even believe a Gxx works.

bvanoudtshoorn

@LPChip: Really? I had no idea... That's awesome. Bring on the pitch bending! I guess I just assumed that they would behave like vxx, and never tested. =P