1.17.02.48 - Synful Orchestra vsti randomly clicks

Started by Snu, August 19, 2007, 04:46:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Snu

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.48

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): dunno, havnt tried it in any older versions

Description of the bug:
Synful Orchestra vsti randomly pops and clicks, even when rendering to wav.  changing the buffer settings seems to change the frequency of the pops, but they never go away completely, even at 200ms (and mpt wont let me set it higher).
how often the clicks happen, and their apparent volume vary quite a bit depending on settings.
also, render to wav has more clicks than playback with a 200ms buffer.
the slow render option has no effect.

How often does it happen?:
always

How to reproduce (step by step description):
load synful orchestra (there is a demo version, but it only works for a certain time period), and play a note with it (either as a preview, or in the pattern), or input a note, and render to wav.

LPChip

What version of the plugin did you use to get this bug?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Is there an option in Synful that will kill voices when a CPU threshold is reached? If so, try setting it to never kill voices. I had similar problems with Kontakt, and doing this fixed them right up...

Snu

its version 2.3.1, the latest.
and no, there is no option to kill voices, besides i have an athlon 3700 and it crackles with ONE voice.

bvanoudtshoorn

Well, there shouldn't be a problem then. (But there shouldn't have been a problem with Kontakt for more, either: 2Ghz 64bit...) Maybe try wrapping up the VST in something like Xlutop chainer. There's a demo you can download from their website. From what I can make out, mpt's vst(i) implementation is far from complete, and so using something like Chainer, which has a full and (as far as I can tell) correct implementation sometimes helps to alleviate problems with difficult synths.

LPChip

Snu,

Alot of time has passed by now, and things have changed.

Does this problem still exist for you?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

unfortunately, this bug is still there.
i did a little render (its a beta song with little expression tho)

http://www.snuq.com/temp/ORCH2synfulorch.mp3

strangely enough, the crackles seem to get louder as the song gets louder...

Saga Musix

While trying to reproduce the problem, I found that the clicks (which are simply zeroed samples) seem to always happen at samples that are exact multiples of the internal plugin buffer length (512 samples), and that the same happens when using the plugin in MadTracker.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Seems like the problem comes from the varying audio buffer length, at least a bug report on the Renoise forums suggests that. I've notified the Synful Orchestra developer about this issue, maybe I can also find a solution for fixing this in OpenMPT, but I'm not sure.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Moving to the report archive. It will be up to the plugin developer to fix this (haven't heard back from him yet). Using JBridge or Chainer might help for the time being.