[COMPO: CANCELLED] Soundical Illusion Competition

Started by LPChip, March 28, 2007, 11:42:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

If there are no entries on the deadline, I'll turn the compo into a discussion topic :P
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

LPChip

I hereby announce that the competition has been cancelled.

There haven't been made any submissions.

That makes me wondering. Was this competition too hard?

Did people had idea's and if they had, what was their idea?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

actually, it was too hard for me (i think), i had absolutely NO idea how i should do this ;) :|
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Hmm, kind of strange, as I had atleast 4 to 5 different ideas that were possible, so I though people would be able to come up with something.

SoundCrafter

My idea (which I was going to do this weekend!) (and I also hereby claim all rights over) was a reverse-backmask. It essentially involves recording speech, reversing it, and writing out a "script" of what the backwards speech sounds like. Then you rerecord while reading the script, reverse THAT, and there's your entry.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Oh! Nice :)

It isn't exactly what I was referring to as soundical illusion, but its a clever trick.

The idea of a soundical illusion is presenting something, where you can find something else if you know what to look for, or present something that sounds theoretically impossible.

I had some idea's too.

The infinite toneladder has been mentioned before as conversion of the infinite staircase.

Next its also possible to make notes/noise and put it in such way, that if you play it while using a spectral analysis, you'll see an image pop up. Like a smily or a face or whatever.

Another idea I had was to make a very static 4/4 beat, and use a special techique to make it transform into a 3/4 beat, which sounds technically impossible becaues you either need a fill or fade technique, which could make the beats sound overlap getting a mess. But using clever tricks you can layer them over eachother and carefully apply tweaks to make it go from one to the other.

Another idea I had was by finding a vocal sample, and use somekind of technique to seperate it in different layers that would not make you recognise that they're vocals. Then you make a song with each of them playing seperatelly, and then at some point, make them slowly blend togehter so you suddenly hear the voice that initially was recorded.

I had more ideas but I can't think of them at this moment.

Do you guys have more ideas? maybe even thinking of them now after reading mine?

Sam_Zen

I see that the ideas now coming are about the soundmaterial, in what I would call 'technical compositions'.

But this wasn't the hard part for me. I also have ideas and material.
The hard part for me was the fact that I had to deliver 'proof', and I just was puzzled with the concept, and couldn't
figure out what to do with it.

SoundCrafter

damn, LP...those are some fantastic ideas.

Well the only reason mine would be impossible is because, for whatever reason, when I attempt a reverse backmask, I sound asian. Haha.

I could see the infinite toneladder easily...particularly with an organ sound. You might be able to switch octaves without anyone noticing ;-)

And the spectral analysis one is awesome...would've been a bitch to program, though.

And have you ever heard of BeatMorpher? It's a VST that makes a smooth transition between two different drum patterns. Not sure about time signatures, tho.
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

Sam_Zen

Thanks, SoundCrafter !
This BeatMorpher looks promising, but (OT) in my search for a DL I also found a page with other freeware VST's :
http://www.freesoundeditor.com/incagen.html?VSTSynth.htm~main

SoundCrafter

No prob, Sam! Glad I can be of assistance...I'll have to check that link out. You should add it to the sticky.

Oh...I'm reminded of another idea...with Vocals. Which I'm ALSO claming all rights over, lol. This is explicit...at least it was originally. My friend had written a parody of Cascada's "Everytime We Touch" called "Everytime We F***"...and so I got the idea to get an acapella, find all the syllables needed, and then pitch-shift so you've got someone's voice saying a word they may never have said before...of course it only exists in theory...I have yet to actually do it.