[COMPO: CANCELLED] Soundical Illusion Competition

Started by LPChip, March 28, 2007, 11:42:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

This competition has been cancelled due to the fact that there were no entries submitted when the deadline was passed.

Welcome to The Soundical Illusion Competition

This time, its not about musical skills, but audio skills in general.

Let me first explain what I mean with an Soundical Illusion.

What is a Soundical Illusion?
Actually, I made up the word Soundical. I couldn't find a word that is right. Its based on the word optical illusion. An optical illusion, for those that doesn't know it, is a visual image that has a hidden image or somehow just is not possible. An example of an optical Illusion:

A soundical illusion basically is the same, but the "image" now is a waveform.

So, what exactly is the assignment?
The idea is to make any kind of soundical illusion. Make a waveform that forms some kind of illusion, or has a hidden thing in it or something. You'll have to make 2 files. One called entry and one called proof.

The extensions for the entry can only be: .xm, .it, .mp3 or .ogg.
The extensions for the proof can only be: .xm, .it, .mp3, .ogg, and anything that can be locally opened using a browser, including html etc.

Once you've made your soundical illusion and saved it as entry, you'll have to make a proof that tells, shows or otherwise explains why its an illusion. You can use reference to online websites or just explain how to make it happen yourself, but do note that if someone fails to recreate your entry using the proof you've given, you will loose points. If you require to have more than one files, name them entry, entry2, entry3 etc, and proof, proof2, proof3. This doesn't apply to files that are part of a proof.

For example:
proof.htm
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
image3.jpg

In this example only proof.htm will be watched, but as it has the images embedded, its okay.

What are the rules?
* If you use plugins in your modules, also make an mp3, wav or ogg file to accompany your entry or proof.

* You are ofcource allowed to use your entry as part of your proof by giving a reference to it from your proof file. (example: entry.it, and proof.htm saying: see the entry.it on how it was created.)

* Even though it is possible that your entry is self-explainatory, ALWAYS add a proof, even if its just a txt file explaining what you tried to archieve.

* Only use these files: .xm, .it, .ogg, .mp3, .wav and anything your browser can open, like .htm, .txt, .jpg, .png, .gif. (no .php files)

* If you need to point to an online website, make a html or txt page and put the link in there. You are however responsible if the site in question stopped working, and you can loose points for that. To counteract, find multiple sources and give more links.

* Your entry cannot span more than 5 mb zipped.

* Multiple entries per artist are allowed, but requires to be threated as single entries. So if you want to send in 2 entries, I will receive 2 zip files.

Deadline
You might've seen the date already in the topic title. The deadline is set for the 1st of june. Yes, thats right, 2 full months to work on your entry.

I am aware that this challenge requires some thinking and inspiration in a very unusual way, so you'll need the time to get to a good entry. And in case you have a theory, and it failed, you still have enough time to try it for a 2nd time. You must have uploaded your entry prior to this date. If you find that the upload script doesn't allow you anymore to submit your entry, then you're simply too late. Don't complain, cus you've had 2 full months.

Submitting your entry
Its not possible anymore to submit your entry. The compo has been cancelled.

Judging and voting
This time, I want to use a few independend judges. My question therefor is: If you do not want to participate, do you want to be a judge?
If no one volumnteers, I will not submit an entry and be the judge.

Judges will only vote for the best entry. Judges will give extra points for .xm or .it files if present.

Who are the judges?
* xTr1m
* Sam_Zen (maybe?)
* LPChip (maybe?)

and... Maybe you?

---------

Well, I basically think that I've covered everything here. If you have questions, feel free to ask them. Also if you want to be a judge, please tell me. :)

For once, this compo will be posted over at ctgmusic.com aswell. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

xTr1m

:) nice!

Two things: You posted this on March 28th, 2 months would be May 28th. But deadline is May 1st. That's more like 1 month...

And I want to be judge :)
I don't own a tube amp. HA! HA!

LPChip

Quote from: "xTr1m":) nice!

Two things: You posted this on March 28th, 2 months would be May 28th. But deadline is May 1st. That's more like 1 month...

And I want to be judge :)

You're right... Deadline is going to move to 1st of june :D and I'm glad to have you as a judge :D
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Asharin

I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Sam_Zen

This is quite some info and I will read this carefully. First I will need to investigate my definition of an illusion here.
If I refer to LPChip's example of the Escher-drawing with the staircases, I can imagine a soundical equivalent in some pieces of music, where the groundtone seems to rise and rise and rise.
I'm not sure if I will be able to produce a contribution yet, so I offer myself as a judge anyway. If I decide to make a contribution after all, I will withdraw as a judge on time.

SoundCrafter

Hmmm....sounds interesting...I might be up for it.

Although I can't guarantee anything would be very musical...But I DO have a really cool idea...But my .it would probably just be one sample with a single C-4 note. Would that be alright?
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

Quote from: "SoundCrafter"Hmmm....sounds interesting...I might be up for it.

Although I can't guarantee anything would be very musical...But I DO have a really cool idea...But my .it would probably just be one sample with a single C-4 note. Would that be alright?

Ofcource. Even if you'd make noise, it would be okay, as long as you have proof that its an illusion ;)

CrazyAznGamer

xTr1m

I don't own a tube amp. HA! HA!

LPChip

Quote from: "xTr1m"One month to go :)

Right... I need to work on the upload script. :)

SoundCrafter

Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

LPChip

For those that have been creative in the meanwhile, the upload script is ready.

I've updated the 1st post to add the link there, but if you're too lazy to scroll up (hey, I'd be too :D) you can use this one too! :D

True, I have basically ripped my old upload script from The modplug Compo 2007, but hey, it works! :D

If you have any trouble to upload your entry, feel free to post a message here.

Oh, one more thing, the upload script has a link on the bottom to either upload your entry (which you'll have to use to get it up there) or one to download the entries. This 2nd link is password protected, and is only there so the judges can listen to the entries. :)

LPChip

I haven't heard anything besides people wanted to give it a go.

How are things going?

LPChip

Deadline is getting near, and no entries so far.

If I don't get atleast 2 entries before the deadline passed, the compo will be cancelled, unless people tell me that they have an entry.

SoundCrafter

I've got one...in theory, at least...but I need XLR cables! haha.