How to boost volumelevels? and get that punch?

Started by kit beats, May 21, 2007, 11:21:37

Previous topic - Next topic

kit beats

Quote from: "LPChip"There are some differences between IT and XM.

For instance, I believe that XM doesn't have sample pannings (or instrument pannings, one of the two)

I'm learning here :P , just like the new soundcard & boxxes thing. :oops:

Maybe you know iff it's good to save my XM songs to IT and iff its not damaging the song? then im going to use that from now on.
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

LPChip

Yeah, even in the past when the XM and IT formats were as they were originally, the IT format always had more to offer. Also on certain limitations, like max number of channels etc.

I can't really say how this is the case now in OpenMPT, but outside OpenMPT it still matters.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
Let's not fall in the trap of some silly discussion, about 'what's the best'. It's not relevant here, it's about technical aspects about both formats. And I certainly would advice Samplekit to switch to the IT-format, because it has the best future and is more versatile.
For me it's a different thing, because I'm not going to convert all my 300 works I made in the past, starting with FT2.

QuoteXM doesn't have sample pannings (or instrument pannings, one of the two)
It has both.
XM indeed doesn't seem to have filters.
Of course FT2 isn't compatible with plugins. This feature was added by Olivier. But I suppose Impulse Tracker can't handle plugins either. And this is the beauty of MPT, it has integrated both progs.

LPChip

Agreed, but FastTracker doesn't have one of the panning options. I'm sure of that!

And you don't need to convert your old .XM's. Its just a good idea to know that the IT format has features the XM doesn't, so when you start a new song in MPT, its a good idea to use the IT file.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Seems like we need some basic History / oldschool lesseons here :lol:
indeed, plugins were not possible in FT2 / IT coz they were dos programs :)
XM does not have sample pannings but insturment pannings, because of one logical reason: The XM format always have instruemnts, it's not like IT that can also have a mode without instruments. additionally, only one sample is allowed by one instrument, unlike IT. so a samples does not need an own panning in XM at all ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
I know, making future things should be done in the IT-format, but my crocodile brain is trained on the XM-codes..

2 Jojo
I think different on some details. In XM one can set a global panning value of a sample in the sample tab.
At the same time one can set a certain panning envelope in time of this sample, as an instrument.
Including the actual pan-codes within a pattern, it's a matter of the hierarchy of the values.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"2 LPChip
I know, making future things should be done in the IT-format, but my crocodile brain is trained on the XM-codes..

It wasn't aimed at you Sam_Zen. :)

You have so much experience with XM, that it is not necessary. SampleKit however is just starting out. And if you just start out, then its better to use IT right from the beginning.

kit beats

Crocodile brain.. :lol: '

Question, how do i save as IT?

I can do save as,..xm then.
save as wave, save as mp3!

Saga Musix

easy task. ;) general tab -> song properties -> Type -> Impulse Tracker ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

kit beats