[Instrumental beat] Indomitable_Soundscapes (.MP3)

Started by kit beats, May 22, 2007, 22:25:14

Previous topic - Next topic

kit beats

One beat of mine that i putt a lot of time in and i still don't seem to like the sound. I think its the beat itself..not the right samples for the beat, basse / snare ..to hard..you name it.

the melody is pretty catchy, maybe i wanted it a little bit to much catchy :D

I only used a compressor vst and the rest is all samples ,mostly i made myself & buy'd samples on the internet.

The song is made on 190bpm and i pitched it up :nuts:

Edit by Mod: edited title to contain new songtitle. See a few posts below.
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

Sam_Zen

It's not meant to be unfriendly in any way, but, as I stated on this forum before, I don't review songs with the title 'Untitled'.

kit beats

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"It's not meant to be unfriendly in any way, but, as I stated on this forum before, I don't review songs with the title 'Untitled'.

Hey Sam thanks for the comment, im not good in making names so i needed the Random song title generator, the first thing i clicked i get :

Indomitable_Soundscapes

Indomitable = ontembaar :lol:

Sam_Zen

A Random title is ok.

You already said it yourself, basedrum and snare spoil the sound of the other instruments, because far too loud.
So no good balance. And the effect is even bigger, because almost all instruments are situated in the centre, so 'hidden'
behind the percussion.

kit beats

Thanks for your comment Sam_Zen,

Please explain so i can do something about it.

Regards,

mrvegas

Not a bad beat.  I think the song needs a little more, though, and the drums do overwhelm everything else.

The beat is really good, though.

kit beats

Thanks mrvegas,

That's exacly what i'm looking for..nicer sound, better quality.
I try'd to set the samples lower@volume but then again i need it to sound like a punch. (on a Flowing beat)  8)

What notices me is that there Are some verry nice songs on this forum. well made, nice volumes, good quality etc..
Iff i set my box volume normal open, and master also..i get nice volume.

With my song is it that is must set my master a little bit higher and my boxxes 2 and the sound is still not right hahah, hopefully i get to learn this problem of mine.

Regards, :nuts:

Edit by LPChip :) : Wat me opvalt = What notices me

Sam_Zen

mrvegas is right. It needs more, but I first wanted to focus on the basic material.

And getting some punch doesn't auto-mean that something should be louder or more compressed.
The louder the better is not always the right solution. First, the right volume-balance of the instruments has to be found.

QuotePlease explain so i can do something about it.

There's nothing to explain. I said what I said.
I'm a composer, so if I write something, I compose the text carefully as well, I don't 'chat'.
But I'm ready to answer concrete questions about a specific subject.

LPChip

2Samplekit:

To archieve great quality, like most have in their songs here, its very important to have good equipment. If your soundcard or headphone is not of descent quality, or it somehow alters the sound by boosting certain frequencies, it will always be noticable. I therefore recommend to search for good equipment.

Although there are many good and also relative cheap soundcards, I would not use an onboard. Instead, I would buy atleast a soundblaster from Creative. Live or Audigy as minimum choice, but preferabelly a much better one, like the M-Audio or if you want surround, the X-Fi one.

You can buy expensive headphones, and if money allows, I would certainly do. If not, then I would recommend the Sennheiser MX400. These are small ear-wearing headphones, but the quality is outstunnishing. They also have an MX450, but don't get carried away by the type number. The MX450 has much more bass, but this feature was added to be of great use for walkmans and mp3 players. It will make your mixes worse if using on a computer. (Oh, and in case you wondered, I have several of each type :D)

If you are ready to pay a bit extra for very good headphones, I would recommend a pair of AKG's.

I have an AKG-K271 Studio, and its great. If my memory serves me right, I payed about 200 Euro for it.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

kit beats

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"The louder the better is not always the right solution. First, the right volume-balance of the instruments has to be found.

I checked volumes. but there are a few : General: song volume, sample volume. Instrument volume & pattern the volume. so that's what im going to figger out.

by the way, is it so that i must normalize all samples?

Big thanks!

Just figured something out for the beat. normalize the sample and put the default volume on 40 or so..mwHAaa

kit beats

Quote from: "LPChip"good equipment. If your soundcard

My soundcard is just the one in my pc.
My headphone is a phillips SHP2000  :lol:

I use some trust boxxes, one basse and two tweakers i think..i buyed them for 30 euro's  :lol: i buyed them by b*rt sm*th ,they said its for putting it on my ps2  :oops: but it sounds nice on my pc (nice clear basse sound and snare by the way) :shock:

Please set me up with a good set of boxxes and a nice quality soundcard!

Sam_Zen

2 LPChip
Nice point, about the equipment. (Maybe a subject for a topic : 'What's everybody's hardware environment ?')

Quote from: "Samplekit"by the way, is it so that i must normalize all samples?
Just figured something out for the beat. normalize the sample and put the default volume on 40 or so..mwHAaa
So you answered your own question.

I suppose you meant 'tweeters' :)
As LPChip stated, there are relatively cheap onboard cards with enough quality, so this has second priority.
The first one is to be able to monitor what you are composing, as good as possible via a speakerset or headphone.
Since you are composing a stereo-file basically, with two channels, it is important that it is also reproduced that way.
This soundkit you describe is indeed made for a game computer, but not very good for composing.
3 speakers, and I suppose the bass box in the center. This just gives the wrong impression of what you are doing.
Remember my comment earlier : "because almost all instruments are situated in the centre"
I suggest to replace this set by a simple stereo-set with just 2 speakers.

I think that a composer should be aware of the fact, that he has no control whatsoever how the track will be
listened to by the audience. Everybody has different soundsets, speakers, tone-settings, preferences of flavours.
This includes the composer listening to his own result. It's a different role than being a maker.
Every composer has it's own personal settings, when he listens to music. A punchy sound, loudness, clear, etc.

Now it's an iron rule in recording studios to have the monitor equipment's tone-setting as 'flat' as possible.
And flat meaning : all frequencies equally responding as much as possible.
Why ? Because otherwise you would fool yourself considering the final recorded material to distribute.
So :
While making, keep it flat when listening to the progress.
When listening to the final result, turn on your own punch-knob.

kit beats

Yes, thank you, thank you verry much (like elvis would say it) :lol:

Listening is the best instrument, im going to check for new boxxes, i thinks that's verry important. a quote on Sam_zen's nice explaining.

i have an amplifier that i can plug the boxxes on.

Maybe someone can help me with a nice quality soundcard.

Nice weekend everyone, byebye :nuts:

Translation: versterker = amplifier

Sam_Zen

Quotea nice quality soundcard
Before you do so, try to figure out what the 'device properties' of your current soundcard are.
The resolutions of recording and playback.
If it can handle 96kHz 16-bits and a floating 32-bits, it's good enough for basic quality.

kit beats

dont' know more / can't find more that it's a Sigmatel High definition CODEC, legacy audio, audiocodecs  :oops:

I want to buy 2 of these ,what do you think?