how to repeat a sample

Started by gamez, May 25, 2007, 22:32:17

Previous topic - Next topic

gamez

hello i am new with mp tracker

i would like to know if there is a way to repeat a sample every 3 lines of a pattern.

i would like to avoid the copy/paste , copy/paste, copy/paste etc... etc... method.

thanks  :wink:

Sam_Zen

First of all, if it's about repeating the same samplecode, it would be : copy/paste, /paste, /paste, /paste..

If it's about repeating a keypress every 3 lines, go to the pattern tab and set 'Row spacing' to 3.

gamez

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"First of all, if it's about repeating the same samplecode, it would be : copy/paste, /paste, /paste, /paste..
yes sorry  :oops:

here is what i meant:

i would like to repeat the same sample, like this.

i tryed to set "row spacing" to 3 but nothing happened? how to use this option? what is its aim?

Saga Musix

row spacing will skip the amount of rows you typed in that field  when you pressed a key. so you have to hold your C-5 key just for a few seconds and the pattern should be filled ;) be sure to reset Rowspacing back to zero if you want to continue in a "normal" way ;)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Rowspacing will make sure that the next time you enter a note, it will move the cursor down x amount of rows.

Default = 1, means, it will move the cursor down by one row.

You can also fill like 3 or 4 notes, then make a block, and copy it, moving down, pasting it.

Some handy shortcuts:

ALT-L Make selection for the entire column.
ALT-L twice: make selection for the entire pattern.

This will make it easier when copying, as you can quickly copy paste.

Its also possible to adjust the amount of rows when pressing page down. So you can set it to 16 instead of the default 4.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

gamez

thank you.

but how do you know which key corresponds to which note??  :oops:

LPChip

Quote from: "gamez"thank you.

but how do you know which key corresponds to which note??  :oops:

Thats easy... The layout of the keyboard has been made similar to a piano. So QWERT = CDEFG, 23 567 = C#, D#, F#, G#, A#

Same with the 2 rows below, but one octave lower.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

gamez

ok i start to understand how it works.

i think i'd better find a tutorial

bye and thank you for your help  :)

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Jojo"so you have to hold your C-5 key just for a few seconds and the pattern should be filled
This works, but can be quite a risky method if the stepnumber is odd, like here 3, if the total number of rows is 64 for example.
Before you know it, you've passed the transition and add some codes to the top of the pattern.

Quote from: "LPChip"So QWERT = CDEFG, 23 567 = C#, D#, F#, G#, A#
I obviously have another layout, wherer QWERT is ; C, C#, D, D#, E ... No 23 5677 active ..
And A = C-1 and Z = C-2, so two octaves below. I've always found this a troublesome setting, because the kb is not capable of having 11 keys in one row, so the highest ones are on unlogic places. Is there an item in options where I can correct this setting ?

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"This works, but can be quite a risky method if the stepnumber is odd, like here 3, if the total number of rows is 64 for example.
Before you know it, you've passed the transition and add some codes to the top of the pattern.
you are wrong here. if you reached the end of the pattern, you won't return to the top, the cursor will rather stay in the last row. i see no problem with that.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"This works, but can be quite a risky method if the stepnumber is odd, like here 3, if the total number of rows is 64 for example.
you are wrong here. if you reached the end of the pattern, you won't return to the top, the cursor will rather stay in the last row. i see no problem with that.

Actually, that really depends on what setting you have set in your options.

LPChip

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Quote from: "LPChip"So QWERT = CDEFG, 23 567 = C#, D#, F#, G#, A#
I obviously have another layout, wherer QWERT is ; C, C#, D, D#, E ... No 23 5677 active ..
And A = C-1 and Z = C-2, so two octaves below. I've always found this a troublesome setting, because the kb is not capable of having 11 keys in one row, so the highest ones are on unlogic places. Is there an item in options where I can correct this setting ?

Hmm, yeah, you can configure it manually for each note, what key to press. But there are some different key preset files in RC2. I'm sure you have them too. Find out if there's another one that is almost equal to what you use now.

I use the Impulse Tracker one myself, as I've always used IT, so I have all those shortkeys again.

(means: copy = alt-c, paste = alt-p) something you need to get used to since its by default ctrl-c and ctrl-v.

Sam_Zen

Thanks. The .mkb files indeed. And I found Setup/keyboard/ Pattern Editor - Note col. Great.
Seeing the current list I wonder about the fact that Q is called 'Base octave C' and A is called 'Base octave +1 C' while it is an octave lower.