VST Loading Feedback

Started by bvanoudtshoorn, May 21, 2007, 04:49:19

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

I've taken to using Kontakt2 and other such massive plugs in mpt, but I find that they take quite a while to load (well, loading 2gb of samples will take a while...  :wink:). It'd be nice if there was some sort of visual feedback, telling you which plug is being loaded (out of how many).

It'd be even nicer if there was a progress bar for each plug, but I don't think that many are nice enough to report their loading state to the host... So I'd be satisfied just seeing a small status window showing the plugs being loaded.

Maybe this would also be useful for tracks which use large instruments. Of course, they could have more feedback...

LPChip

My songs don't load that long. Probably a max loadingtime of 1 second. So I doubt that it would be a nice thing if I see a status window popup every songload, and it could cause for epileptic symtomes too if its that quick?

I agree that it would be nice to have somekind of indicator in case it takes too long, but I would not like to have those indicators for my short loading songs, unless they do not appear that big. Eg. a loading progressbar in the status bar would be fine, or changing the captionbar would be too, but a new popup with a status would not IMHO.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Statusbars were made for those things :) So it should be placed in the statusbar.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Status bar would be fine with me... Just so long as there's something! I can see it working like a web browser, with the "loading" status bar. Preferably a bit bigger than in a web browser, though... =)

bvanoudtshoorn

Hasn't been much movement on this one, but I thought that I should mention that it's no longer such a big issue for me. I recently upgraded some of my software, and now the slow-load plugs (ie Kontakt) provide their own feedback. =D Still, it would be nice to have this feature incorporated...

Saga Musix

r5664 finally implements this (in the status bar, as proposed above). You are right that not "many are nice enough to report their loading state" - in fact, VST plugins cannot do this at all.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.