Modtracker on Linux (!)[Reported to work @ page 2]

Started by Genjix, April 06, 2007, 11:15:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Genjix

Hello,

Are there any plans to port this tracker software?

Thanks!

Relabsoluness

At least I haven't heard that such would be under serious planning, but indeed it would be nice if OMPT was free from unnecessary platform dependencies.

LPChip

I was wondering....

In order to compile the source properly, VS 2003 or 2005 .net is required. Doesn't that make it bound to a windows platform?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "LPChip"In order to compile the source properly, VS 2003 or 2005 .net is required. Doesn't that make it bound to a windows platform?
When speaking about the current code, in practice it does, but parts that are VS-dependent can, of course, be rewritten(GUI in particular), but it won't be a small task - else it would likely have been done already.

Asharin

But could it not be compiled against the WINE libraries making it more or less 100% compatible with WINE under linux?
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Randilyn

OpenMPT does not work under Linux even under Wine.  It has a sound output bug that hangs Wine (even on the latest versions).  This bug is not present in the original ModPlug, only OpenMPT, so at least the developer(s) have a reference point to look for the problem.

And yes, I have tried all possible configurations for both Wine and OpenMPT (read: I know what I'm doing) - it will not work, and is even listed as having crippling sound bugs on the Wine website, whereas the original ModPlug is listed as working, albeit with a few VST issues that depends on the plugin being used.

Aside from that, it works 100%, the GUI and everything, and most VSTs.  But that one sound output bug makes it nearly completely useless, unfortunately. :(

Screenshot of the GUI with desktop integration (using Wine 0.9.34 on Kubuntu Dapper Drake):

If the sound output bug(s) were fixed I would be willing to help design a new build system and get OpenMPT compiling against the Wine libraries (which provide the Win32 API, DirectX API, etc. directly into the program at compile time) and get the whole thing running natively on Linux.

Until then, I am also willing to help test any potential fixes to the sound output bug(s).

Relabsoluness

Does anyone have experience at what point things got broken? I remember hearing that some 'wild'-versions would work in wine, but apparently not RC1 anymore. Well if someone feels like spending time on figuring this out, old executables are available at http://modplug.cvs.sourceforge.net/modplug/wild/mptrack/bin/mptrack.exe?view=log

Randilyn

If anyone is interested in helping me to get this going, you can find me in #modplug on EFnet nearly 24/7 (except when I'm asleep, of course ;p).

cubaxd

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Does anyone have experience at what point things got broken?
I've tested all wild versions with standard settings

Environment: Debian GNU/Linux 4.0, wine 0.9.35, Audio: OSS

The behaviour is everywhere the same:
After trying to play a sample or a mod, the first few milliseconds are played over and over again.
All actions which not use sound output can be done in that time. Program freezes completely after trying to push the pause or stop button
or trying to do any other action which has directly to do with the sound output.

the only error output of wine is:
err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x7ebcdcc8 "winmm.c: WINE_MM_IDATA.cs" wait timed out in thread 000c, blocked by 000f, retrying (60 sec)

But i tested it only with the standard settings of wine.

With OMPT 1.17.2.28 i tried various different settings without any success.

Asharin

I know modplug works fine with Cedega, a WINE derivative, but eh, you have to pay for that, though not neccesarily a lot, it has a lot of commercial code in now I belive, what I did was just subscribe for 1 month a while back to get the latest version.
If there's a new version out I occasionally sub for another month just to get the new version :D  Not so often now though as my linux box has been in pieces for a couple fo months, I haven't found the time to fix it.

My working in linux post here:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=894.0

Thinking about it you used to be able to compile cedega from source, it just lacked the code that enabled most win games protection systems to work, but it should still work with modplug as we don't need that code for it :D
Take a look on the cedega site http://www.transgaming.org  might be some info about the CVS server etc there to compiel it from source.
I'll try it out meself if I ever get my  linux box up again.

Randilyn

Asharin, I appreciate the effort but most of us are probably not interested in a solution that involves either buying Cedega or building it from source, especially since Wine comes stock on any Linux machine these days and is almost as good with a little effort.

Our primary goal here is to get OpenMPT first working under Wine, then compile it against the Wine libs.  But thanks for letting us know. =)

Asharin

I believe I said that myself a few posts ago:

Quote from: "Asharin"But could it not be compiled against the WINE libraries making it more or less 100% compatible with WINE under linux?

I mentioned Cedega (ideally compiled version) as a way to run it NOW while waiting.
As for not wanting to compile stuff..why not it's the staple diet of Linux! How do you think we managed before RPM's and DEB etc became more common methods of distribution. I have to admit though, I am just as lazy, I'd rather just install stuff than compile it myself :D

Randilyn

Quote from: "Asharin"But could it not be compiled against the WINE libraries making it more or less 100% compatible with WINE under linux?
Well... not exactly.

It doesn't actually help with Wine compatibility, so OpenMPT itself must first work perfectly under the respective Wine version before it can be built against the Wine development libs (formerly collectively known as winelib) of the same version, which are both derived from the same codebase.

The purpose of compiling it against the libs is to have it running natively on Linux, since doing so compiles the entire Win32 API into the program as if it were any other development toolkit, resulting in a self-contained, potentially Linux-runnable binary (although it would still depend on shared libraries and such).

cubaxd

Has anybody already tried to compile it?
I wonder if one has to write a Makefile or to convert the vcproj file before compiling. If so, is there an easy way to automate this step? And if not, how is it done?

Randilyn

Quote from: "cubaxd"Has anybody already tried to compile it?
I wonder if one has to write a Makefile or to convert the vcproj file before compiling. If so, is there an easy way to automate this step? And if not, how is it done?
It would have to be done manually, and it would probably be alot of work, especially if the code uses MSVC(Microsoft) specific features.