"volume" for VST effects..?

Started by josecm, February 12, 2007, 23:03:15

Previous topic - Next topic

josecm

hello to all i?m new in this forum.

when i load a vst effect i can modify the parameters that it have but if i want to adjust the "volume" of the effect to each channel separately, how i can do it??

thanks you.

rncekel

I think that you mean that you want to apply an VST to several channels and change the wet/dry proportion. In this case, the best is to have several copies of the same VST, each one for a channel (or an instrument, depending on how you're working). Then, use SF1 and Zxx (or \xx) to change the parameter in each channel or instrument.

LPChip

If you only use Effects, then its better to change the source instrument instead of changing the Effect itself.

You can change the volume of the sample simply by entering a volume in the volume command or using Dxy effect for volume slides (so its smooth).

Eg:
C-4 01 v20 .00 (the v20 will set the volume to 20)

If you want to change the volume on channel level, then use the effect Mxx to set the volume for the channel (does not affect VSTi's)

If you are using VSTi's, then you indeed need to use the Wet/Dry setting for plugins. Do note that changing the Wet/Dry ratio for one effect will change ALL sounds that are currently being routed to that effect.

Say: you have one effect and you've checked the MASTER option, setting dry/wet will change the volume OF THE ENTIRE SONG.

I'll explain how to set wet/dry (from my memory, so sorry for typo's)

To set the wet/dry value, simply open the Zxx dialog, and select the macroslot you want to use. Then set it below to Plugin Wet/Dry ratio.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

josecm

thanks you to all for answer quickly :D

QuoteTo set the wet/dry value, simply open the Zxx dialog, and select the macroslot you want to use. Then set it below to Plugin Wet/Dry ratio.
can you tell me where i find it (i what window or screen), i?m new with Modplug tracker and i have not read all the manual yet :oops:  ::)

LPChip

Quote from: "josecm"thanks you to all for answer quickly :D

QuoteTo set the wet/dry value, simply open the Zxx dialog, and select the macroslot you want to use. Then set it below to Plugin Wet/Dry ratio.
can you tell me where i find it (i what window or screen), i?m new with Modplug tracker and i have not read all the manual yet :oops:  ::)

in the pattern editor, in the toolbar, there's a button with a black Zxx on it. press it :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

josecm

where i find a manual about it (if it is in spanish, it?s better..)?

when i press the Zxx icon appears this:

in the "macros" it have 16 macros, and the number 1 is used (the other 15 appears "unused").

in the right, it have 9 options:
CUSTOM
UNUSED
SET FILTER CUTOFF
SET FILTER RESONANCE
SET FILTER MODE
SET EFFECT PARAM #0
SET EFFECT PARAM #1
SET EFFECT PARAM #2
SET EFFECT PARAM #3

i only can set the "custom value" (below) if i set the "CUSTOM" value.

how i set the WET/DRY parameters?

i need put something in the pattern editor also?

thanks you.

LPChip

Ah, it appears you have the old version. The old version doesn't even support wet/dry at all.

You'll need atleast OpenMPT RC2 or later for that.

You can find the download links using the index page on the forum->Software Downloads forum.

josecm

thanks you LPChip! i download it and it run!!

-by the way, i observe that they are several downloable versions. i have an athlon XP 3000+, i download "OpenMPT_1.17RC2_athlon32.zip" it?s the correct?

-this control can be in a future a "slider bar" like "initial volume" or "initial pan" in each channel in the view "general"..? (it will be more fast to adjust it)

thanks you very much!!

LPChip

Quote from: "josecm"thanks you LPChip! i download it and it run!!
You're welcome. :)

Quote from: "josecm"
-by the way, i observe that they are several downloable versions. i have an athlon XP 3000+, i download "OpenMPT_1.17RC2_athlon32.zip" it?s the correct?
Yes, this would be the best setting. Note that all versions should run, this one is just optimised for your kind of processor which probably be the most stable and will give you the most performance.

-this control can be in a future a "slider bar" like "initial volume" or "initial pan" in each channel in the view "general"..? (it will be more fast to adjust it)

thanks you very much!!

This control is already in the general tab, but its a per effect only setting. If you adjust the effect even if its on several channels, then it will affect all channels with that effect on it. So its kind of impossible to add it to the patterns.

The wet/dry slider is currently positioned in the mix settings panel on the general tab. You have to drag the slider to the right to adjust it.

josecm

i have a problem when i run the new version 1.17RC2, appears a windows that say:

"can?t open file keyboard config file D:\0 modplug tracker\modplug tracker 1.17 RC2\default.mkb for reading", but i press "acept" and modplug run well..

LPChip

Go to the setup screen, tab Keyboard, Button Load Keys...

Browse to the default.mkb file and open it, then press ok and close OpenMPT.

Should solve the problem and any other problem related to key problems.

josecm

Quote from: "LPChip"Go to the setup screen, tab Keyboard, Button Load Keys...

Browse to the default.mkb file and open it, then press ok and close OpenMPT.

Should solve the problem and any other problem related to key problems.
thanks you LPChip, i did it and run OK! :D (i believe that the problem was why i changed the name of the directory..).

-about Zxx, when i use 3 channels with 1 diferent sounds in each channel, if i use the Zxx command in channel number 1 (for example), it afects to other channels too.

i am doing something wrong? how i do to apply the Zxx to one channel without affect to others channels?

thanks you.

LPChip

As I mentioned earlier:

If you change the wet/dry ratio of a vst, then everything that is routed through it, is being altered.

You don't alter the channel but the vsti.

You could see it as this:

Channel 1 -> VST 1
Channel 2 -> VST 1
Channel 3 -> VST 1

In channel 1, you change VST1 using Z20

This means that you're changing VST1 right?

So since VST1 is applied to all 3 channels, all 3 will change, cus you're not changing the channel, but VST1.

If you just want to change the volume, then don't touch Z command, but change the volume per note or use a channel volume command (Mxx)

josecm

Quote from: "LPChip"If you just want to change the volume, then don't touch Z command, but change the volume per note or use a channel volume command (Mxx)
i understand but, the result will not be the same.

other option is to create severals copies of the effect with others names and load them. But it will be a decrease of the resources of the pc, yes? there is another way to do it?

LPChip

Quote from: "LPChip"If you just want to change the volume, then don't touch Z command, but change the volume per note or use a channel volume command (Mxx)
i understand but, the result will not be the same.

other option is to create severals copies of the effect with others names and load them. But it will be a decrease of the resources of the pc, yes? there is another way to do it?

No, there is no other way to change the volume of the plugin itself, but as mentioned earlier, if you use samples, you don't need to change the volume of the plugins, and with VSTi's you can also change the volume per note, but not on the fly, as with samples.

What is the situation you're having in detail? Cus only asking questions makes it harder for me to give a good answer, as I can only answer that of what you ask. If I however know what you want to accomplish, I might provide an answer that you hadn't asked but solves your problem.