The Oldskool Klassroom

Started by machinesmith, April 03, 2009, 20:32:37

Previous topic - Next topic

machinesmith

Hi All

I've been hunting around what I THOUGHT were the usual haunts for trackers (is that what our type is called?) and all I can say is we DEFINITELY are a dying breed!

I've been a modplug `lurker' since 2000, and I think this is the only place where trackers old and new can easily get into, learn, and leave when their time comes.

What I'm looking for is a place which documents the cool and interesting effects that can be produced with just the tracking software alone. (No VST's & MIDI shenanigans)

The thing is while I love finding and discovering hidden techniques myself or amongst the vast ocean of mod files which contain awesone lessons in tracking, I find it very hard to keep track of them (pun intended)! For example how many songs have REALLY used that Zxx macro in IT? Hmmm?

So while there a lot of technical tips here  I want a thread where I can "discuss tips tricks and techniques" (just like the modplug homepage says) but with an oldskool twist because I'm a mod musician and: I Am Limitation dammit!

(P.S sorry about the rant like post - but I really am fed up with all the datamining - and if it helps I <3 you all for keeping this alive!)

Saga Musix

I don't know about others, but I use Zxx quite frequently since almost the beginning of my tracking career. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

hello machinesmith. Nice to c stalkers in our forums (j/k). ^^

I've tried to understand your point, but failed. What exactly is that you're looking 4? Zxx is pure MIDI which is routed on default to the OMPT internal low/high pass filter (that we can call kinda VST, but it's not).
Aside from those, the other internal tracker effect are somewhat self explaining imo. =)

My advice is: simply stop worrying that much about technical parts. Try to be creative, do your music, and when you encounter to a technical question and cannot be solved with your current knowledge, feel free to ask. You will develop yourself much-much faster than with simple technical hunting.

Miracles won't happen', you'll make them. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

Hmm. first : no capitals needed with 'thought', 'definitely' or 'really'. I just looks ridiculous in the grammar.
Welcome machinesmith !

So far I just used samples in my modules, and never used Zxx macro's because I don't use MIDI either, and used the XM format.
I just recently tried to find out about the use of VSTi and VST plugins. I'm not even sure if I will use that in the future.

Maybe I understand your point, but I refuse to be called part of some dying breed.

Of course this forum has to follow all kinds of recent developments, to be staying alive, and I don't mind.

ModPlug is a very versatile tool. Maybe you're right about the emphasis on things.
Not much anymore about 'oldskool' tips tricks and techniques, but I would say : just post your question.

residentgrey

Is any of that on the wiki? where is the wiki anyway?
No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

g

psishock

Quote from: "residentgrey"Is any of that on the wiki? where is the wiki anyway?
huh? wucha mean residentgrey oO? God created our open modplug wiki, short after he finished his work with the universe, earth, light and VST technology.

Here's the pattern editor section Oo:
http://openmpt.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Manual/PatternEditor

Quote from: "g"it.txt :)
ah, yes, i've read that a lot in the old days. ;)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Quoteused samples in my modules, and never used Zxx macro's because I don't use MIDI either
I can't follow your train of thoughts. What does the one thing have to do with the other? The first function Zxx already had in Impulse Tracker was to provide a lowpass filters through which samples can be modified. ModPlug extended this behaviour to control VST plugins, but those two things don't have anything to do with each other. I only use samples, not VSTis, and still, I use Zxx quite a lot.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"
Quoteused samples in my modules, and never used Zxx macro's because I don't use MIDI either
I can't follow your train of thoughts. What does the one thing have to do with the other? The first function Zxx already had in Impulse Tracker was to provide a lowpass filters through which samples can be modified. ModPlug extended this behaviour to control VST plugins, but those two things don't have anything to do with each other. I only use samples, not VSTis, and still, I use Zxx quite a lot.

Actually, in Impulse tracker, it was already possible to control midi equipment using Zxx. Its default was (as well as in OpenMPT) to control the resonance filter, but the F1 screen (or was it Alt-F1?) was to setup the midi macro's. As far as I know, the resonance is actually controlled as a midi macro itself. So entirelly different isn't the case here.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Jojo's right. I forgot about the lowpass filter. So I should have written :
"never used Zxx macro's and I don't use MIDI either".

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"Actually, in Impulse tracker, it was already possible to control midi equipment using Zxx. Its default was (as well as in OpenMPT) to control the resonance filter, but the F1 screen (or was it Alt-F1?) was to setup the midi macro's. As far as I know, the resonance is actually controlled as a midi macro itself. So entirelly different isn't the case here.
Yes, but the default Zxx Macro Mapping still maps lowpass filter + resonance. :P