11 (52.4%)
Mainly VST, with an occasional sample-file
1 (4.8%)
Only VST plugins
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Voting closed: May 19, 2007, 00:52:45

Sam_Zen

Considering this community, I wondered about this for quite some time. I see a variety of which material is used to make a module.
Tracking is sample-based, but now the plugins are there. As instrument and as effect.
This situation creates new consequences.
So one thing I'm curious about (a poll within a poll) :
For someone working with sample-files, the pattern-tab is the default working place, sometimes switching to another tab.
I don't know, but maybe for people working only with VST-plugins, the general-tab is the default working place.

My own situation : Only sample-files, but this has a hardware reason : I just not have the CPU power for multiple use of plugins.

LPChip

I couldn't really find the question in your poll, so I've edited it to a much more eye-friendly version. :)

I always use samples, and depending on the project I also add Effects. It also depends on what I have of samples or if I want to use VSTi's if I go for VSTi's.

But since my drum samples are so good, they're usually always in the song.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

KrazyKatz

I specifically use sample files in order to take advantage of the volume commands.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Saga Musix

i only use samples too, together with "normal" VST effect plugins, but no VSTi plugins - i don't like VSTi, but maybe i'm just too dumb to use them :lol:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

rncekel

When there are good VSTis for what you want, they are usually better than samples (unless you got really very good samples), but sometimes it is impossible to find a good vsti for something. For example, drums samples are easily better than drums VSTI.
So, a mix of both seems to be the optimal solution.

kit beats

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"I specifically use sample files in order to take advantage of the volume commands.

im also using samples, it's easy to work with and brings lot's of fun!

the only thing is that im having cracks & beeps (in songs). but im going to check al samples on peeks,and put them back into the song..hopefully it sounds better :nuts:
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

mrvegas

I typically will use samples with VST effects in the mastering chain.  (A tiny bit of master chorus, reverb, EQ, and then a compressor\limiter -- usually digital fishphones endorphin.)

I actually used to use VSTi a lot more with Psycle.  What I have found with MPT is that samples have become a lot more fun and easier to work with.  Also, I have really enjoyed downloading others' mods and seeing what they have done.  At some point, I will post some of my mp3s, but I also want to post the mods.  Since I frequently use commercial samples (inexpensive ones, but still commercial), I need to switch out the samples and take out the VST effects before I do that.  Essentially, working with samples enables you to post the mods that can be played by anyone.  It's almost like putting sheet music out there.

The other problem I had with VSTi is that I spent way too much time tweaking knobs rather than writing music.  Using samples, you can always just switch them out until you find one you like.  If you load a new VSTi you have to keep tweaking until you get what you want.  VSTis can sound much better at times, though, depending on what sound you're looking for.

kit beats

Quote from: "mrvegas"I typically will use samples with VST effects in the mastering chain.  (A tiny bit of master chorus, reverb, EQ, and then a compressor\limiter -- usually digital fishphones endorphin.)

I like to know about Vst EFFECTS, i never used it, don't know anything about it. how to install..using.. maybe somebody can send a PM ,tutorial.
"get the piece sounding pristine." - KrazyKats
..Like this one, definatly got the Sam Zen
individuality in it... - Asharin

Asharin

Mainly use VSTi's (and VST's) and the occasional sample. Every track technically as at least some samples, as my voice is sampled into MPT too.
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

cubaxd

I prefer using only sample files. but sometimes an (echo or so) effect here and there isn't that bad :) , that's why i've chosen option 2.

Sam_Zen

2 Samplekit
Check the technical documents about the use of VST plugins.

Quote from: "mrvegas"I need to switch out the samples and take out the VST effects before I do that. Essentially, working with samples enables you to post the mods that can be played by anyone. It's almost like putting sheet music out there.
Not almost, it is so. With offering the module, one offers the plain score of the work. And all instruments of 'the band'.
Indeed one of my little objections of using VST's : the compatibility of the mod to be played by anyone.
I did some tests with this, and using VST's is still possible, as long as they are enclosed with the module e.g. in zip-file.
If all files are unpacked to the same (new) directory by the user, ModPlug will play the work correctly.
Of course such a distribution is only possible with free, non-commercial plugins.

tvdude

All of my percussion, strings and background sounds are usually samples, my main lead instruments which are usually synths almost always are vsti's.   Much of the fx on individual tracks are also vst's, such as reverb, and echo, and I master everything with vst effects.  I like both samples and vsti's and vst's to make my music; I think it is the best of both worlds.  Modplug Tracker in my opinion is one of the most poweful musical programs as it allows for all of these tools to be used in writing music.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

Sam_Zen

You're absolutely right. It's a pity, at least it is so in my region, that there is no attention to this concept on schools
whatsoever, considering musical education. Besides the classical approach with scores on paper, if they want to add
something with a computer, the teachers, because of ignorance in these matters, choose for some commercial
non-product called 'Groove Magic' which has the slogan 'make a hit in 5 minutes'.
For kids, that are really interested in composing music, it's a disaster.

mrvegas

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
I did some tests with this, and using VST's is still possible, as long as they are enclosed with the module e.g. in zip-file.
If all files are unpacked to the same (new) directory by the user, ModPlug will play the work correctly.
Of course such a distribution is only possible with free, non-commercial plugins.

Actually, I wonder how much trouble it would be for the developers (or those who have time) to put together a zip or rar file of VSTis that could be used with Modplug.  Thus, we could perhaps create some common agreement on VSTis and VST effects to be used.  (All freeware, of course.)  That way, someone could post a mod file and anyone pulling it up would know they could play it because it would reference VST instruments or effects they already have.

I would recommend limiting VSTis and effects to those that have only a single dll file (i.e. not dependent on other files or installations), such as Iblit, Polyiblit, Ers Drums  (oldies but goodies by Andreas Ersson), E-phonic drumatic, and possibly Crystal (complicated but excellent).  For VST effects, simply include the whole Kjaerhus Classic series.  (Sadly, my criteria would probably eliminate Synth 1, which works very well with Modplug, but does require its own installation.)

Anyway, just a random thought.

Sam_Zen

Maybe random, but sharp.

A default 'plugins.zip' coming along with the OMPT distribution would be nice. Not necessary the task of the developers, some
volunteers could do that as well. Finetuned, it could mean both a 'vst.zip' and a 'vsti.zip' available.

I have two main other progs I use with plugins. Total Commander and Irfan View. With a different approach.
TC has a whole community of developers apart from the main prog, coming up with all kinds of plugins for different functions.
Far too much to include in an installation-package, so every individual chooses the own plugin-set afterwards.
With the setup of IV, it's optional to add 4 groups of plugins in zips, but they are available with the default distribution.

Reducing the items in the package to a single dll file is good thinking. It avoids possible conflicts.