[22 ET grunge] 22 grungy wall splats even (mp3)

Started by uncloned, October 07, 2009, 13:01:56

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Ok... I'm trying to put into practice some of the things I've been thinking and talking about. I'm not too happy with this piece though what I did with using my guitar as a controller I think holds promise for many-note tunings, and in this case 22 EDO.

Specifics:

I used my Fender Mustang and the Roland GR 20 as a controller to drive pianoteq, z3ta+ and albino - all of them in 22 edo. Pianoteq was run through native instruments guitar rig which gives the piano an almost grunge guitar sound. Session Drummer 3 provides the beats.

To get the piano into the proper register I made pianoteq transpose down 24 steps. This made it difficult to go back and add melodies because I couldn't transpose (live) the other two synths and as a result the mapping of the frets to notes changed.

So... this is a bit rough - perhaps should be more up tempo. But it is my most recent attempt to put my music where my mouth has been.

http://micro.soonlabel.com/22-ET/22-piano.mp3

Sam_Zen

Rough and nice.
When tempo is quite slow, there's a tendency to wonder : -shouldn't it be a bit faster ?
Most of the times this isn't the case.
And talking about tempo :
I'm a bit disappointed with the drums. No further work has been put in it, just a start and then a stop at the end.

uncloned

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the listen and comment.

Since this was a complete midi recording I can adjust the tempo if you are curious. (it is at a slow 80 BPM right now.) My impression is that the melody will sound weird faster.

Actually I'm listening to 120 BPM - I'll post it later.

The drums are from Session Drummer 3 that comes with Sonar 8.5 - What I did should have varied the drumming - but less than I would have wished by far. However.... Frank who used to be a band mate has started recording drums and you can expect him to sit in on some work in the future - we already have some in the works.

In fact I will also post a demo version of him playing drums to The Good Boundless later also.

Now back to this piece - the main technical aspect was trying to use my guitar to play in another tuning in a rock type style. - Sort of worked.

uncloned

long drive tomorrow and the unexpected first entry into the SoOn compo took my time tonight.

I'm gonna shoot for tomorrow or the next day to post what I promised.