[Orchestral] Childsong No 8(.mp3)

Started by Harbinger, September 01, 2010, 15:55:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Childsong Nos. 8 and 9

Impressionist works by me. The link above goes to the post over at NotOnlyMusic.com. If you like Orchestral music and can abide by my terms, feel free to DL from there... 8)

KrazyKatz

I'm a big fan of Delius so I was looking forward to a listen.

You mentioned this a very personal work, and that comes across.

Unfortunately a piece like this is very difficult to express the full emotion using sample libraries. Orchestral is never easy, but particularly pieces where each instrument requires expression. It takes ages and even then one has to compromise.

I hear what you are getting at, but your mainstream listener may not.

It is possible to make it sound more realistic by adjusting volumes and velocities and since it's a personal work perhaps over the long run you could slowly improve it's realism as a pet project.

But ultimately, when you get that orchestra to play it, count me in.
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

Harbinger

The main reason i waited so long to sequence/track these pieces is i've waiting been for the synth technology to catch up. Many years ago, there was no thought of using samples to artificially produce sounds. It was either find the best waveform synthesizer and LFO modulator, or get the real thing. As a matter of fact, it's why i attended the Univ of Minnesota -- to become a symphony conductor, so i'd have my own orchestra.

Ever since sample-based synthesis came up, a classical composer still had to wait for good enough technology to find all the samples needed for many performance nuances, like a human vibrato, changes in timbre in a legato passage, etc. For me, dealing with strings, there are two performance techniques that have been hard to come by -- tremolos and trills. (There are other less important ones, like doubling and bridge-sliding.) Solo strings are even more difficult to reproduce...
I have found that Roland's Orchestral VSTi addresses these and many other concerns. I could never afford it, but somehow Yjana was able to get it, and she bought it for me a few weeks ago. I'm still getting the hang of it, and it still isn't perfect, but it's the best by far i've come across.

If i ever get the chance to record a real orchestra doing my works, you guys will be the first i share it with (or at least give a 10% discount to)! :P