Do you use the "split keyboard" feature?

Started by Saga Musix, December 03, 2009, 17:29:46

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use the "split keyboard" feature?

Yes
1 (6.3%)
No
15 (93.8%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: December 03, 2009, 17:29:46

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

I don't see the purpose of using it, cannot see what is can help people with.
^^

PPH

No, but I'm quite conservative when it comes to adopting new features. I had forgotten it existed, but thinking about it, there are cases in which I might find it useful.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Sam_Zen

Never. And I think, if some keyboard wants to be split in function, the keyboard itself should provide that..

Snu

nope, and it frequently annoys me that its wasting space on my screen... would be nice to cram all that stuff in one line and be able to see more rows on the pattern

Sam_Zen

Paul Legovitch

I sometimes use it, but more to try things and have fun than to actually edit patterns. I voted no as I don't really need it and it does waste some valuable space.
To add some fuel to the discussion, here's a mockup suggestion for a new panel without the "keyboard split" section :

To maintain the possibility to use this feature, I'd suggest to associate it with the chord editor, as both of them deal with keyboard mapping and can be accessed from the pattern editor toolbar.

It could be renamed "Keyboard Manager" or something like that.

LPChip

No from me too.

Seeing the poll results, I'd say, remove it! :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That "keyboard manager" mockup is actually quite interesting, but I dunno if two seperate dialogs would also do it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I didn't even know it was in there...

But I'm not one of the code intensive module composers...

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Jojo"That "keyboard manager" mockup is actually quite interesting, but I dunno if two seperate dialogs would also do it.
If possible, a link to the keyboard tab of the setup window in this hypothetical "Keyboard Manager" would make sense. Just like the general tab has a link to the player tab of the setup. My own experience with OpenMPT has been somehow chaotic because I did not explore this keyboard tab until recently, any incitation to do so would have been nice.

Also, for the sake of the future reader : this thread is somehow linked to http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=29938.0&highlight=#29938
(removal of the "keyboard split" interface from the panel)

Saga Musix

Well, for now I decided to create a separate dialog. Both options would make sense, I guess, but I just created a new dialog because I'm lazy. Let's see how things develop.

Paul Legovitch

By the way, if the keyboard split is removed from the panel, maybe it would be still needed to have something to indicate that the split is active or not : a button (like the midi button) or something to check or uncheck that would enable or disable the split. But again, since nobody seems to use it, maybe it's unnecessary.

Saga Musix

Keyboard split is enabled per module and it's not even saved, so I assume that someone who uses it is well aware that it's active.

Harbinger

I have used it for inputting volumes in the Note FX field when a note is entered (which i wrote up in the OHM); you can't do this with the main instrument. The split feature is especially helpful in inputting similar-sounding (but slightly different) instruments, such as hihats. One sample plays the HH open and the other closed; by splitting between them i can step-record into a channel with ease, instead of having to switch between "Main" instruments.

Altho i appear to be in the minority, i say keep the feature, but you are welcome to take it off the main page to free up room for other GUI elements.