Problems concerning uploads

Started by Nahkranoth, October 22, 2008, 08:13:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

I'm trying to upload a file to http://download.modplug.com/
So there is that image code and sometimes you can't tell 0(zero) from O(letter). Maybe this issue can be fixed?
I know it's not a serious thing to bug about but people don't want to guess especially if it takes long to upload a track :oops:

MisterX

Quote from: "Nahkranoth"Maybe this issue can be fixed?
I know it's not a serious thing to bug about but people don't want to guess especially if it takes long to upload a track :oops:

I'll look into it and see how hard it would be to fix, I used an off-the-shelf captcha system to prevent spambots from posting garbage, and so far it has worked. :)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

MisterX

LOL, re-reading my post, I realized how it may have been misinterpreted.  Please don't think that I meant that it prevented you from posting garbage, I honestly meant that it has prevented spambots from posting garbage. :|
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Nahkranoth

And to the topic again:
Can the whole process of uploading be modified so people can see that image error msg BEFORE the upload completes?
I got the error a couple of times after the upload. It take some unnecessary waiting time and traffic ::)

Harbinger

I agree. I HATE that new letter entry thingy, but i'm sure it's a necessary evil for admin so he can provide us a stable environment to share our works with our colleagues. Still, the image code should be checked before trying to access the upload....

Saga Musix

by the way, there are some really easy and more user-friendly methods to stop spam bots... like hidden input fieldds which may not be filled in and have a standard name like "name" (use a CSS class, not <input type="hidden"> and CSS tricks like right-to-left display (write a text captcha reversed in the sourcecode and set its CSS properties to {unicode-bidi:bidi-override; direction:rtl;}
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

Or just use radio buttons, which spambots have difficulty with. I use them at my compo site - "Are you a bot? (x) Yes ( ) No", and haven't had any spam. :)

Sam_Zen

Yep, a slick trick, Barry. Although not 100% safe, because some big spammers hire cheap people to bot manually.
If that's the case, you could always reverse the dialog, telling your friends to enable 'Yes'. No spammer would click that.

Saga Musix

best thing is a combination of several methos. especially those which are not obvious from the pure html. like hidden fields which may not be filled out. the radio button thing can be combined with a reversed text, but spam bots still may click anything and have a chance of 50% to solve it.