Why we keep coming back to Modplug Tracker

Started by maleek, February 01, 2009, 01:12:47

Previous topic - Next topic

maleek

I thought the discussion in the tread "ok, so, is modplugtracker good for old-skool rave/hardcore?" took an interesting turn, so I'll take the liberty to create another tread. So that we can discuss this further without going OT. Instead of discussing this in another tread .

So guys and gals. What are the reasons that you use MPT? Have you tried other tracker (sequencers), (like I? I've tried lots) and come back? Or do you use (O)MPT together with other programs.

I would love to hear all the different stories that folks on this forum have. I will maybe elaborate on my own story somewhat later, but it is nighttime here and I need my precious sleep. :)

I began by writing this in the rave-tread:
QuoteI have actually tried to use FL Studio and Orion, but I always seem to get back to Modplug Tracker. At the end of the day it is simply the fastest way for me to realize my musical ideas.
Harbringer continued by writing:
QuoteFor fear of hijacking the thread, i have also tried other trackers, most recently sVartracker and reViSiT. Both have lots of features, but they lack one of the most basic: configurable keys. It's hard enough learning a new tracker, and i hafta re-learn keys? No thanks. I know MPT inside and out (actually i STILL don't know everything about it) and can do anything i want. Yes, it's imperfect and it's difficult from what i understand to tweak the code to better suit our needs, but it's tried and true, plenty of features, and pretty decent "customizability". When the others get configurable keys AND use VSTi's AND can use different tunings AND can read and use many different tracking formats, then i'll give 'em another look. Like you, i keep coming back to MPT.... Wink

Feel free to continue. :)

psishock

Well to start the discussion, lemme give a contra to this. :D
I've passed about a few months almost totally to Renoise now and i'm very satisfied with it. OMPT was almost perfect, but as i've improved myself, found out that it needs a lot to improve, lacks of many features, but currently we just don't have the sufficient manpower. Strangely enough, Renoise already had almost every requested OMPT feature, so made my work with music much more easier and faster than OMPT did before. The learning process took about 1-2 days, there are much similarity to OMPT (possibly because the tracker logic), the GUI is very flexible and most shortcut keys can be configured.

As for other sequencers like FL studio or Reason, they are simply more complicated to use, not this comfortable/fast as the trackers, and basically in the end, you have the same results when it comes to producing music.

And the most interesting thing to me is your first statement:
QuoteI always seem to get back to Modplug Tracker
Well what made you switch in the first place? When everything is going good with it and you can work fast and comfortable, there is definitely no reason to look for another program. I wouldn't at least for sure.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Renoise is confusing to me. Tried to understand the interface a couple of times, but as I've never used anything else but MODPlug, I don't really like it. And of course, I'm coding MODPlug, so why should I switch to something else? :P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

When Dos went Windows, I switched straight from FastTracker II to ModPlug. A logical step.
I could realize my ideas in a much more sophisticated way.
Since then, I never had any reason to look for another tracker app. On the contrary, OMPT has been improved in many ways.
About he comparison with things like FL, Renoise, Reason, Rebirth, etc. :
A tracker can be used as a sequencer, a sequencer can't be used as a tracker.
I've worked with them, but I didn't felt the freedom I have with tracking.

Rakib

any resemblance to this topic? I've already answered there if you want to read my answer.
http://www.renoise.com/board/index.php?showtopic=18964
^^

LPChip

I have also tried other trackers. I even have the demo of Renoise 2.0 installed. I do like it, but it costs money, and I'm not willing to spend money on an app if there's a free one that performs as good. (yes, thats modplug tracker)

Sure, there are some things that I would like to see in OpenMPT that aren't present, but I can still track pretty fast in OpenMPT.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

maleek

Psisichock wrote:
QuoteWell what made you switch in the first place? When everything is going good with it and you can work fast and comfortable, there is definitely no reason to look for another program. I wouldn't at least for sure.

There are some features that I miss in OMPT. I think I began experimenting with Modplug back in 1997/8... And I still think it has a superior graphical user interface. I also think there's a aspect of challenging myself into trying new things. New programs and see if there is anything that might help me improve writing music. But I also tend not to have the patience to learn them fully and irritate at them not working in the manner that I've grown used to (and fond of) from Modplug.

I actually would love to see other trackers incorporating the genius way that MPT let's the user incorporate notes and tracker effects with the mouse. OMPT represents the tried and true to me. I have learned to work around it's limitation. But at times things like automation would be sweet.

The only two programs that I've actually finished tracks in, other then MPT, are Tuareg and Orion. But I've installed and fooled around with Jeskola Buzz Tracker, Psycle, FL Studio and Renoise. I loved the way how you chained effects graphically with Buzz. The sequencer though was not my thing. The same with Psycle. I have friends who work with FL Studio, and it's all fine and good but has an uninspiring GUI. And Reason, well, from what I've heard it can not use VST and VSTI technology. Renoise and Orion are those that I see lasting potential in learning and getting the grips with.

Basically, I wouldn't mind learning other programs more properly. But still OMPT is the benchmark for which I compare everything else with...

psishock

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"About he comparison with things like FL, Renoise, Reason, Rebirth, etc.
Just to make sure, Renoise is a tracker :D, the rest are sequencers.

Jojo: agree, if you don't have any reason to switch (and OMPT is perfect for compatibility with tracker files, players, working with samples) then i really don't c the point why would you do so. =)

Rakib: so basically its the GUI issue? After playing with it, i've found that its much more flexible that OMPT gui, you can drag channels anywhere, extend effect and note columns, hide any elements what you don't need, and the most important, you dont have to switch to tabs while working, everything is shown on one screen. Even the mouse and the marking/copying/pasting features are a lot more extended. You can work very fast with it.

LPChip: So true, but unfortunately OMPT is not performing near good as Renoise because it lacks of multicore support, automatic vst(i) bypassing and some more optimizations. As for free trackers, completely agree, no one can beat OMPT.

maleek: interesting, what would those features be, that you need? Maybe i can help you with pointing some good sides of the alternative host for you. Reason example is one of the worst choices from the commercial sequencers imo (and i wouldn't recommend to use a sequencer anyway), your hands are limited in many ways there.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "psishock"Just to make sure, Renoise is a tracker
OK.

uncloned

Quote from: "Jojo"And of course, I'm coding MODPlug, so why should I switch to something else? :P

JoJo - is reverse sample triggering in the mptm format somewhere?

Oliver has put it into the original MPT but it seems gone now...

Saga Musix

uncloned: It's S9F, just like in .IT. works perfectly here...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

Thanks JoJo,

I missed it on the effects list then somehow. Thanks for answering me.

chris

Saga Musix

Oh, and the second "j" in "Jojo" is not capitalized. :P

psishock

oh? then i'm not fine with Psisichock too. :P

maleek

That's nice Psishock. Thanks for offering your help. Maybe I'll drop you a PM if I get around specifying what I "need". :)