Has anyone tried Roland MC-303 or MC-505?

Started by Louigi Verona, April 11, 2009, 13:26:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

I really missed the whole groovebox concept. Owning one is really now my dream.

psishock

just go software, it's a lot more easier to tweak your settings and manage the program, envelopes, etc (+ can open as many instances you desire).
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "psishock"just go software, it's a lot more easier to tweak your settings and manage the program, envelopes, etc (+ can open as many instances you desire).

You are saying this as if I haven't been using software for the past 11 years  :D

The reason why I want hardware is because it gives you something to touch. Also, it gives you an instrument to master and something that does NOT need a laptop to go along with it to make it work. A groovebox is something that is the same size as M-Audio Oxygene 8, difference being it needs electricity - and that's it.

Also, software offers no limitations which gives you so many choices it is much easier to focus on these choices rather on creativity. A hardware instrument has very well defined limitations which make you be creative. It's same as with acoustic instruments - if a flute had many plugins to change its sound and the way it can be played people would not focus on learning to play it so well your jaw would drop in astonishment.

Actually, today I've bought a Roland MC-303 - my first hardware. What can I tell you? It rocks. It's amazing. The manual is 120 pages )))))

psishock

You mean limitation is creativity? No way in my dictionary Lougi, i think totally the opposite. I was more than happy when i was able to "break out" in the VSTi world from those tracked samples, finally i was able to do "whatever i wanted to". Even so, i am limited by the processor speed or the memory amount, but with a little optimization i can live with those.
I think when you imagine some stuff and can't do it because of some heavy limitation, that kills the creativity inside of you. Maybe you will eventually start to think about some workarounds and hacks, that will produce the same (or similar) effects, but those are mostly time consuming, and in the end, you are focusing most of your time on those technical stuff, rather than just composing your creative idea in the first place.
When i got an idea, i'm looking to be able to produce it as fast as i can and in the most easiest way. i'm easily bored anyway, i don't want (usually) unnecessary complications.

QuoteThe reason why I want hardware is because it gives you something to touch
oh that one... well girlfriend gives a lot more and impulsive pleasure with those stuff. :D

Saga Musix

g: I hope you do realize that x0xb0x emulates the TB-303, not the MC-303.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

if he visited the site even once, it would be hard to miss that fact. :D
Louigi was talking about grooveboxes in the first place, not bass/acid synths.

g

Jojo: yes. what would be the point of emulating the MC-303? that makes no sense at all. what are you talking about?  :wink:

psishock: if Lougi wanted a limited hardware MIDI sequencer with some great TB-303 emulation instead of a limited hardware MIDI sequencer with some crappy samples, my post would have been very relevant.

Louigi: I think 448 preset sounds and 12 drumkits are enough to lose focus. I'm not saying the idea to get one piece of equipment and get to know it inside out is bad, but I think you should focus on something newer (and better) or else you will end up making music that sounds like the 90's (which is a bad thing).

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "g"Louigi: I think 448 preset sounds and 12 drumkits are enough to lose focus. I'm not saying the idea to get one piece of equipment and get to know it inside out is bad, but I think you should focus on something newer (and better) or else you will end up making music that sounds like the 90's (which is a bad thing).

448 preset sounds and 12 drumkits are enough to write very populated and different arrangements. Lose focus? After working with several thousand samples which I own and God only knows how many drum kits 448 is very basic.

As for something newer, I seriously considered it, but all the new stuff have 3 main downsides:
1. They are too sophisticated which makes them too bloated with features I don't need.
2. Most of them REQUIRE to connect to PC, which defeats the whole purpose of a groovebox. That concerns Roland as well (their latest MC-808).
3. They are VERY expensive. Maybe a bit cheaper in UK, but in Russia the price even for basic music equipment is very high, so to buy even a little bit more sophisticated midi keyboard, let alone a serious groovebox, I would have to save up several months. The price of Roland MC-808 (which I do not want anyway) is so high that I cannot possibly afford it in any near future.

Also, I don't like how they look, all these latest devices - like toys.

As for music of the 90s, it is still relevant to me. Very relevant, actually. I believe that a lot of music styles which were back then were not explored to their fullest due to the short term nature of hype. Lots of things were hyped but among them were many diamonds which are still worth exploring. Hype gets old, music doesn't.