On the history and influences of modern drone music

Started by Louigi Verona, May 15, 2009, 17:19:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Are you available on Skype or GMail voice chat? I am really interested in the subject and perhaps speaking about it live will clear everything in a matter of minutes.

uncloned

nope, I'm at work actually.... I just don't have much to do the past few days.

perhaps someone can chime in with a better explaination?

or I can try to answer some questions.

Louigi Verona

Yeah - I understand what additive synth is, I understand the wave forms, I don't understand what are you doing with them.

uncloned

my point is square, triangle, saw waves all have the same partials

when you sweep a filter with high Q you will always get the same sound more or less.

Louigi Verona

Hm. Yeah, it might. But it does sound sweet if done properly and can be a very hypnotic listen.
But using a filter is not the only thing you can do. I use vocoders, granulizer, slicer, just tampering with the sound and putting it together in weird combinations.

uncloned

Yes, the harmonic series does sound nice.

But my point is that it is the same sound. For most every waveform normally generated.

If you take the sound of a bell for instance - a bell (usually) is inharmonic and you get different partials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inharmonicity

Sam_Zen

Of course any sound can be described as a mix of sine waves, or the higher harmonics of the wave.
This mix can be described as being a 'modulation'. So one periodical signal is influencing another periodical signal in time.

One of the first digi-keyboards, the DX-7, had a nice tool, to change the algoritms between four sine oscillators.

I still think a sine wave is not the basic building brick. It has to be made out of a noise signal with a narrow, resonating Q-factor.

uncloned

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"

I still think a sine wave is not the basic building brick. It has to be made out of a noise signal with a narrow, resonating Q-factor.

This is an interesting idea - I wonder what it look like on an oscilloscope.

Sam_Zen

So it is. Just take some white noise, and narrow it down with a very sharp bandfilter, with a 'plus' amplification.

In nature, due to the filter circumstances and surrounding resonations, often sine tones are rendered in this way.

Louigi Verona

Quote from: "uncloned"Yes, the harmonic series does sound nice.

But my point is that it is the same sound. For most every waveform normally generated.

If you take the sound of a bell for instance - a bell (usually) is inharmonic and you get different partials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inharmonicity

Well, I do not see a problem for sound music there. First of all, I rarely synthesize sounds, instead I use recordings. (In fact, synthesis by itself cannot be the essence of sound music, the ability to record and edit sound is)

And I can use any type of sound - be it bell, piano, just sounds from life around. I use all kind of sounds as sources and samples. In fact, most of my tunes use bizarre samples - not just pads with a sweep filter on them, but usually sliced sounds from different sources.

I hope I did understand you correctly though.

uncloned

Quote"Well, I do not see a problem for sound music there. First of all, I rarely synthesize sounds, instead I use recordings. (In fact, synthesis by itself cannot be the essence of sound music, the ability to record and edit sound is) "

This sounds like this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musique_concr%C3%A8te

Louigi Verona

Sound music and music concrete are different things. Music concrete is part of what sound music is. Sound music is a more general term. I am sorry, I still did not have the time to talk about sound music and how I define it.

But in short, concrete music is a genre of sound music.

uncloned

Louigi Verona

Give up?? Oh boy... I thought I was the one not understanding things...

Anyway, don't mind that. I will present the material. All your commentary is super welcome always. Discussions are necessary and help me a lot. I am still analysing the genre thing, thinking over what you said too.

uncloned

to be honest I don't see how you can divorce pitch and not be some form of music concrete (with the exception of "noise" pieces like I've heard that was various shades of noise [pink, white, brown] with rhythmn of some type).

And the music of yours I have listened to was pitch based with filter sweeps and percussion. Certainly not sound sculptures like Sam Zen does - or say my piece "And War Itself"

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2436.0

And my piece you like the most, electronic dream #1 is totally pitch based

http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2464.0

And it is, once again, filter sweeps of the traditional harmonic series.

I don't see a middle ground - just combinations of varying degreess are possible...

So I give up because I don't understand what you are saying....