Mp3 Bitrate Encoding Problem

Started by progena, August 05, 2009, 19:25:05

Previous topic - Next topic

progena

Hi guyz

Today I tried to save an .it file as MP3.  the only option I have under save as MP3 is MPEG Layer-3 Codec with the highest bitrate of 56kbit/s @ 22.050HZ stereo.

Previously I was able get 320HZ - the only change I have made recently is to install goldwave v5.08.  Could it be that this has caused a conflict ??

I have uninstalled goldwave and reinstalled the lame codec but no change. even if I put the lame codec into the OpenMPT-1.17.02.54 folder
this seems to be the same if the file is in Xm It or Mod format.

I hope this hasnt been answered before.  I have looked around the forum But I cant find any pointers.

Any help would be much appreciated thanx

Saga Musix

If you have lame_enc.dll in MPT's folder, I can't see how anything could go wrong. Is that the case?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

progena

Unbelievable speed of reply Jojo

It seems I had the wrong lame dll file in the MPT folder I had winLAME.0407.dll

I have now dloaded and added the lame_enc.dll file you suggested and bingo all is good

I still have no real clue as to why it disapeared in the first place but am very gratefull for the solution

thanx again

Saga Musix

Lame might have been installed as a "global" encoder (i.e. available for all Windows apps) before and was removed or something. I don't know.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

progena

I think your right there as Im sure didnt have LAME V3.94 that is on the system before I installed goldwave. It must have come as part of the install and overwritten the files I had before.  

will check if there is a way to return to having it as a global, as it will probably affect other things as well

Saga Musix

3.94 is outdated anyway. :P Also, use OGG instead, it sounds better than MP3 and it's free from patents. There's no built-in OGG support (yet), but there are useful apps like oggdropXPd. You can drag wav files on that application and it will automagically convert it to OGG. The advantage of this is that you can use an external wav editor (or OpenMPT's built-in editor) to normalize the wave file, do post-processing, etc.

Sam_Zen

Right on. One can find Oggdrop here. R-click offers encoder options.
Quote from: "Jojo"There's no built-in OGG support (yet)
I'm getting quite curious about this "yet" ..

psishock

QuoteI'm getting quite curious about this "yet" ..
i don't think, you should key up your curiosity just this easy Sam :D, we have a huge amount of "yet" upcoming features, too little manpower and... well, we have too little manpower. :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

It is simply something I consider because I favor OGG over MP3. Doesn't mean that it will be there tomorrow.

Also, you might want to LAME / OGG encoding stuff here instead, because that website is guaranteed to always have the latest versions. :)

LB

I agree, OGG is better than MP3 for quality and size. It'd be nice to have an OGG exporter so I don't have to export to a wav then convert it to OGG. It's nice that the wav exporter can export such high quality, but my convert doesn't recognize anything higher than what it's set to by deafault.
Don't feed the bunnies. They will bring thier friends next time.

~MMF2 Developer user~
[color=green]LB-Stuff[/color] - My Website

Sam_Zen

Yep, that's the site Jojo, and there's Flacdrop as well.

Saga Musix

LB: I think there are several good reasons to first convert to .wav that I've mentioned above. At least normalization is a very important point IMO.