Good tracked glitch music

Started by Pizearke, June 03, 2013, 03:22:37

Previous topic - Next topic

Pizearke

I'm kind of looking into making glitch music, so I'm wondering if anybody knows any good glitch artists that use trackers.

Also, resources on glitch and tracking in general would be appreciated.

LPChip

Some tips I can give you:

Glitch can be quite nice with really short drums. In order to do this, you can use Phenome VSTi, which is a soundfont player. Load in a soundbank, and set the sustain/release to 0 and set the delay to short and it will give you really short drums which works well with glitch tracks.

Next, learn how to use the retrigger and use Q81 to add glitchy sound effects. This does also work with VSTi's, not just samples.
Here's an example of what I mean: http://mftp.lp1.nl/knyttwadf_dark_forest.wav.mp3
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Typical aspects of tracked glitch music: High pattern tempos, (drum) samples with short (misplaced) loops, lots of retrigger. You may also want to experiment with OpenMPT's sample stretcher, as it can produce quite bad-sounding (and thus glitchy) results. This is one important aspect of the whole genre: Take the perfection out of your perfect samples. Add errors, add glitches.
As with every genre, actually listening to music from that genre and analyzing its sounds helps.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

anything else interesting like Q81?

LPChip

I would add that different drumsamples with Q81 and a different pitch gives good results. Go as high or as low as sounds good. Experiment.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Pizearke

Quote from: Saga Musix on June 03, 2013, 10:39:05
As with every genre, actually listening to music from that genre and analyzing its sounds helps.

Yeah, that's definitely why I'm on the search for some good glitch.

Anyway, I'm going to download phenome and see how it sounds.

Saga Musix

Well, Phenome sounds like the soundfonts you load into it. It doesn't have any sound of its own. There's no need to use Phenome if you're not using any soundfonts anyway. And for glitchy stuff, it might be better to just load soundfonts directly into OpenMPT anyway.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Saga Musix on June 13, 2013, 21:45:38
Well, Phenome sounds like the soundfonts you load into it. It doesn't have any sound of its own. There's no need to use Phenome if you're not using any soundfonts anyway. And for glitchy stuff, it might be better to just load soundfonts directly into OpenMPT anyway.

Actually, not entirely true. As I pointed out earlier, phenome allows you to have any drum sample and set a very short decay. Now, its true that if you open the soundfont in OpenMPT you can edit the volume envelope manually and get the same results, but its not just a soundfont player. It actally does slightly more.