[Italo] A Moment in Time

Started by Oliwerko, February 03, 2011, 11:37:56

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

This is the second italo track after "One More Time" done in the style of Michiel van der Kuy's vocal production from the 80s/90s.

This time also more experimentation with the bass, and with the drumkit as well. Especially the drumkit is quite elaborate and took a lot of time to make.

Once more I got a bit closer to the style I am after, and that was the goal after all.

I don't have full lyrics written yet for this piece, but I already have something to start from, so I hope for a vocoder and/or vocal version as well.

February 02, 2011

http://oliwerko.ic.cz/A%20Moment%20in%20Time%20(Instrumental%20Version).mp3
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Saga Musix

Hmm, somehow I have the feeling that the drums are too background-ish sometimes, and I think there could be a more suitable snare sample for this style as well. But it's a nice song nevertheless!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Oliwerko

Thanks for feedback!

Actually, the drums have to be quite backgroundish because there's a whole lot of them. But I didn't feel that they were too weak in the final mix. In the original 80s recordings, especially the sidesticks were very very quiet, and running through a heavy reverb. These are things you can't really "hear", but if they weren't there, it would feel empty.

And the snare, well; it's a matter of taste of course. I wanted to use something different than the standard Linndrum snare, and this was the first one I ran into which I thought fitted well, it's Linn 9000 IIRC. There were some much wilder snare sounds in the italo tracks sometimes, this one's pretty standard...
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

Zaphoid

I thought this was a stellar track for the style.  I enjoyed it.  I agree the drums are fine for this sorta style.  Melodic and Catchy! good work.