[analog] Lost Sea (OGG)

Started by Sam_Zen, November 20, 2008, 01:37:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Ok, going along with the prehistoric thingy, this is from 1975.
Done with the Synthi, the fast sequence at the intro and outro is dubbed, the rest is one take.

Playing with the option to transpose a sequence. The AKS keyboard has a peculiar option for this.
4 keys named 'Fifth' - 'Third' - 'Tone' - '1/2 tone'. This is a binary additive system.
So to raise the sequence three half-tones, one should press 'Tone' plus '1/2 tone' simultaneously.

This piece was inspired by a Sci-Fi story about a stranded space-traveller on an unknown planet.
Woke up, lying on a shore, not being able to move.
Lost Sea - 8:43

uncloned

the synthi is polyphonic?

It would be great if someone would put animation to illustrate the story you paint here. The development is very interesting.

Sam_Zen

A nice idea to add some animation to this as illustration.
This proves imo that listening to electronics has a strong capability for the mind to create parallel visual elements.
Like with 'ambient' some kind of landscape.

If adding graphic things to a soundfile, I have quite a puristic approach. First option : just one bitmap during the song.
Next step : detect certain 'turning points' in the song, so change the bitmap accordingly.
Result : maybe four different images along the line. (So still far away from the speedy scenes of a MTV movie)

About polyphonic :
Is the Synthi AKS so ? This depends strongly on the point of view.
Classical view : only one key when played is valid, in this case the highest one. So is called monophonic.
While a modern keyboard pressing 4 keys at the same time is called 'polyphonic', because it can produce a chord.
Technical view : This keyboard produces 4 different freqs of the same oscillator.
While a single-key press of the Synthi can mean the tones of four different oscillators at the same time.

Now which one is Mono and which one is Poly ?

psishock

QuoteAbout polyphonic
It's mono, but some "fake" polyophony can be reached with technical workarounds. =)
Mostly "polyophony" means in my dictionary that it allows the loop or volume envelopes to continue and/or fade after the next note is pressed. Yes, the chord availability can also be considered as polyphony, it allows to press more keys at once, but with your "workaround", i assume, the Synthi cannot give example a time based volume envelope (simple ADSR) to more than one note at a time, so i wouldn't call it that.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

I wouldn't call it a 'workaround', it's just a property. But you're right, I only have one envelope shaper.

Saga Musix

» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Thanks Jojo to remind me.
Link is broken, because I removed it. The track appeared to be already in a published album of mine 'Mammoth DNA'.
http://www.samshuijzen.nl/sam/mammoths/5_lost_sea.ogg

Saga Musix

well, this is sounding pretty nice. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.