Is the Mac Really Safer Then a PC

Started by Merrryzldarkangelzzzz, May 11, 2007, 11:14:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Merrryzldarkangelzzzz

Everyone claims the mac is safer but realisticly isn't it less safe because most people on a mac are not as cautious as pc users. Pc users are running software firewalls to see what connections are coming in and out, sandboxing type software and other security type programs.
If someone personally knows you are on a mac seems they could target you better since they know you proably won't be looking for anything out of the ordinary.

What do you guys think
Manager

SoundCrafter

Macs are generally safer than PCs because there are hardly any Macintosh servers out there. A virus, worm, or trojan needs to be able to execute itself on the host computer to run on the target computer. Therefore, a Windows executable can't run on a Mac, and a Mac executable can't run on a Windows pc. I s'pose there's always Universal Binary but I've never heard a single instance of Macs getting virus'd or the like.
---Formerly known as ---DjBj---. changed names for lots of reasons.
BooT-SectoR-ViruZ is the new Skaven and the whole world'z goin' to Hell.
Lowpass filter! Perform a generic type of dodge!!! :lol:
Everyone should get on this forum's chatroom RIGHT NOW...still not sure why, though.

MisterX

I had always assumed that virus writers like to affect as many people as possible with their "creations", so writing a virus for the Mac doesn't do much to that end.

I understand that someone did write a virus for Mac just to show that it is not magically immune or anything, it's just that the virus writers cannot be bothered. ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

Pesho_Zmiata

The truth is, Macs can't even get negative attention :P