Music we keep....

Started by Harbinger, February 15, 2009, 16:10:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Nice work by this Tourach indeed. But quite limited in stereo management.
It sounds great with Pro-Logic Surround enabled (I have that enabled all the time)...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I know, but to get a right judgement of other ones pieces, I have to keep it disabled.

Saga Musix

What is judgement compared to enjoyment? Many tunes are mono and that way, I can enjoy them much more.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

I think...

If you want to act as a consumer - EQ, reverb, surround sound away

IF you want to hear how the composer intended - play it EQ flat and no extras.

Saga Musix

As long as you're not writing a review, this can greatly be ignored IMO.

uncloned

How does the music compare when you listen to it flat for a review after listening with earcandy?

Also I've noticed surround sound doing odd and unexpected things, not always good, when not designed for surround sound. But that's me.

Saga Musix

You're not the only one saying this, but to me, it has never sounded bad at all. And not using the sound enhancement features you got is like not using a great soundsystem for reviewing but rather some crappy small speakers, IMO.

uncloned

(Revolver is the beatles album mentioned below)

Presumably the composer has decent speakers or all hope is lost. ;-)

Try listening to The Beatles on a true surround sound system. Unintentional odd things happen like instruments and voices going to rear speakers.

I used to be really excited about surround sound but now never use it.

Saga Musix

Well, I'm not talking about real surround here anyway. :) Pro-Logic Surround on stereo speakers rather mixes the left and right channels into each other, which gives a wider panorma.

Sam_Zen

Pro-Logic Surround is just a trick to widen the panorama. Not direct by mixing, but first by inversing the phase of one of the channels, so common mono elements, being in the center, will loose volume.

Sometimes part of my enjoyment could be that an author shows skills not only in the musical content, but also in a beautiful panoramic production.

Revolver is a bit of an exceptional example, because this album was made dubbing with a 4 channel recorder, and it has all tracks mixed in either only the left channel, or only the right one. If you mute one of the two, the vocals are missing.

uncloned

Sam,

Certainly right about the Beatles using a 4-track but I think you can still stereo pan each track.  At least my 4-track does.

There was a lot of weight in the 60's for heavy right left panning to make sure you knew you were listening in stereo though - correct? In commercial music, most anyway, panning seems to be a lost art.

Sam_Zen

Sorry, I made a mistake, I meant the Rubbersoul album.

uncloned

I read a few of the early albums that George Martin intended to be mono but the American record company (CBS?) took the tapes he sent and made them stereo.

Harbinger

Well despite the hijacking of the thread, my instincts were right, and the various playlists of each other has at least opened my eyes. Each of you who have listed the music pieces you like to listen to inspires me to try to find those and give 'em a listen. This'll give me a better idea of what kind of musical tastes each of you have. Just nice to know! :wink:

If you add to your rotation, add a new post here. It's interesting to know how our attention is grabbed! 8)

uncloned

Hey Harbinger - we will hijack any thread you want :-)

we are nice people in that way

(honestly - sorry !)