What was that modules site circa 1995?

Started by MaxL, December 26, 2006, 15:23:50

Previous topic - Next topic

MaxL

If anyone's as bored as me this festive season then help jog my memory about this please. Back in the mid-90s, there was this enormous website devoted to music modules (all formats, but mostly IT, S3M, MOD and XM) uploaded by users. It was dark blue or black, and the modules would kick ass! Really really good stuff. It kept top-10-type charts, and allowed ratings. I never contributed but I listened a lot. I remember it was a fiercely competitive environment (much more than anything around today) and you needed a plug-in (probably Modplug) to listen to the music on the site. That was an amazing inspiring place, but what was it?

MisterX

Most likely TiS - I doubt that he is referring to the Emporium, but that was a module site back in 1995 that had a black background with blue type and a logo with a rotating blue light (a la K-Mart). ;)
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft
===========================
I am happy to be born when I was - at least I caught the tail end of freedom.

KrazyKatz

If I remember correctly, "Trax in Space" had .IT instruments for sale... Are those instruments around these days?
Sonic Brilliance Studios
http://www.sonicbrilliance.com

MaxL

Hmm, I think it may have been either that Emporium site mentioned by MisterX or TraxInSpace. I do remember clearly that supercool plugin used on the site, which had those spectral LEDs, and which I think was also blue and black. I could listen to that all day. There was simply amazing techno, house and trance. Can't even begin to describe it. At the time I really admired people who could make music like that. That site wasn't "oldschool" as in  obsolete tech - it was cutting-edge at the time. I want it back. Now. :)

Anyway, I have to Xdel this Xdel account now because I just Googled it and some other guy called Xdel has a MySpace (Xdel is this thing that bundles with FreeDOS - which is less good for tracking than you might believe, but still useful for us dinosaurs  who want to run FT2). Actually, that's for another topic: I found out that WinXP users can load up FreeDOS from LiveCD or logical partition at startup instead of XP, and run Scream Tracker 3 and FT2. Later guys.

LPChip

2 Xdel: If you want your username changed, send me a PM with what you'd like to change your username too.

I'll change it for you and send you a confirmation e-mail.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

MisterX

Quote from: "MaxL"I do remember clearly that supercool plugin used on the site, which had those spectral LEDs, and which I think was also blue and black.

That was probably the MODPlug Plug-In... You could set the colors of the plugin to be whatever you wanted.
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft

MisterX

Quote from: "KrazyKatz"If I remember correctly, "Trax in Space" had .IT instruments for sale... Are those instruments around these days?

That was 'SamplesInSpace' and the instruments were donated by other trackers, so they should be 'around', but it would take some looking to see if they are available online.

I know that the Metal Trackers post their instruments to their forum, and one user "Claymore" is known for some high-quality samples.

http://grj.usanethosting.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/grj/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=mcmsgboard
-Mister X aka Kim-
StudioKraft