Question of interest (.7z)

Started by LPChip, February 20, 2007, 22:03:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Can you unzip a .7z file?

Oh yeah baby!
10 (62.5%)
No, and I'm not interested in downloading another archiver.
3 (18.8%)
Actually, no. But you've interested me, so maybe I'll change my mind. (maybe?)
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Voting closed: February 20, 2007, 22:03:16

LPChip

Since a while, there's the ability to use 7-Zip to compress files. Its a freeware archiver that can extract RAR files but even better, it can compress to .7z with a better ratio than .rar files can archieve.

It can also compress to .zip and .lha but zip is a famous and most supported type which is in this case important.

I'm curious who of you guys actually is able to unzip a .7z file. The reason is because I'm thinking of using .7z files as compression type. For the compo, I used a 7z-self extracting archive, and zipped it in for download compatibility, but I'd rather zip it to .7z at once.

So please vote :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

I'm very content with the compressing abilities of Total Commander, no need for Winzip or Winrar. But if I would encounter .7z files often, I would add that format to the options. Any URL of that freeware archiver ?

residentgrey

No two people are not on fire...AWWW!

Web and Graphic Design just for you!
I r GhostMech on there, forever scouting.

Sam_Zen

Thanks. Got it. It has a GUI with file manager, but also a command-line executable. Very nice.

rncekel

In fact, I didn't know anything about the .7z format until I read this. But I have seen that also Winrar can decompressed it. Although 7-zip it's better, as it can also compress to that format and it is free.

pelya

EXE file - even self-extracting 7z archive - is bad IMHO, 'cause when I download EXE file from any internet source except chosen hosts like SourceForge.org I think "Aha, VIRUS/ADWARE inside!". So it's better to have 7z archive instead of EXE and a link to 7-Zip page.

LPChip

Quote from: "pelya"EXE file - even self-extracting 7z archive - is bad IMHO, 'cause when I download EXE file from any internet source except chosen hosts like SourceForge.org I think "Aha, VIRUS/ADWARE inside!". So it's better to have 7z archive instead of EXE and a link to 7-Zip page.

I hear ya.

If I don't know the source I usually hestitate about opening an exe file.

In this case, everyone knows me (so they all have spyware on there pc now :nuts: no, just kidding :D)

but for releasing music, it is good to know that I can just 7-Zip it. Ofcource I'll add a link to 7zip.org and add that winrar 3.61 supports 7z files too. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Snu

i can open 7zip files, i quite like the 7zip program... but i dont really see the point of using 7z files, they arent that much better than zip, and zip is universal.

also btw, using self extracting archives is bad for those who arent running windows.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "pelya"EXE file - even self-extracting 7z archive - is bad IMHO, 'cause when I download EXE file from any internet source except chosen hosts like SourceForge.org I think "Aha, VIRUS/ADWARE inside!". So it's better to have 7z archive instead of EXE and a link to 7-Zip page.
I'm also quite hesitant opening exe-files, even (or especially :P) if it appears to came from LPChip.

LPChip

Quote from: "Snu"
also btw, using self extracting archives is bad for those who arent running windows.

Actually, you can unpack a 7-Zip exe file using 7zip, and probably with winrar too, but then again, winrar is typically for windows :P

As for the difference in compression beteen zip and 7z, I must say that its very good in certain cases, but even if it'd be only 20k, it are still 20k. All tiny bits help if you have a small webserver or are on a slow internet connection.

The only big difference is that 7z compresses lots of files better than rar.

Sam_Zen

In the meantime I found a TC packer plugin for .7z, so I even don't need the 7-zip app itself :
http://www.totalcmd.net/plugring/7zip_plugin.html
I guess so far I will use it to be able to unpack things, or, if its worth it concerning filesize, for own archiving.
If I want to communicate a compressed file in a common compatible way, I still have to use the .zip or .rar format.
Or, as in Japan, .lzh.

Dictator

PowerArchiver can handle almost all packed formats, including .7z

Asharin

I use 7zip, tis a great program, and unlike winrar, it works perfectly in Vista :p
I am Dyslexic of Borg, resemblance is fertile, your ass will be laminated.

Saga Musix

I don't have 7zip although i heared of it. but there's no need to switch as i allready have winrar :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

xaimus

7z would be fine; self-extracting Windows executables are pretty useless here.

I have to "file" the executable and then decompress it appropriately :((((