Which program do you use for recording/editing wave files?

Started by LPChip, September 08, 2010, 20:24:41

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Topic title basically says it all.

I'm wondering what everyone is using as wave editor for recording and editing wav files (can be separate programs).

I was using Creative WaveStudio (comes with my soundcard) but somehow, it doesn't seem to get installed on windows 7, so I'm looking into alternatives.

I have made a long recording (one hour) with Wavosaur, but it failed me as it sometimes just skips and that leads me to inconsistency. This never happened on my Creative Wavestudio.

So I'd like to know the following:

Which program do you use?
Have you used it to record .wav files from say... your line in?
How long was the recording?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"I have made a long recording (one hour) with Wavosaur, but it failed me as it sometimes just skips and that leads me to inconsistency. This never happened on my Creative Wavestudio.
Funnily enough, I got corrupted WAV files with missing and repeating parts only in Creative Wavestudio back then when it was still cool.
Did you try getting a new version from the Creative website? I'm sure they have updated it.
Also, instead of just saying "Wavosaur fails", you should probably contact the author, so the bug can be fixed instead.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Hi Jojo,

Thanks for your reply.

About Wavestudio: See here for the entire story (yes, I tried everything).

But I have very much faith in Creative to resolve this, so thats why I am now looking into alternatives. :nuts:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Also, using ASIO should help if recording is not reliable enough.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rxn

I use GoldWave for audio editing, it is inexpensive although somewhat
lacking compared to SoundForge and the likes. I'd still rank it a good bit
above Creative editors.

If I had to do some mass scale recording I would use a multitrack called
Reaper. It is fairly cheap for non-commercial use but should work even
without purchasing a license after the trial expires.

psishock

Reaper is basically a fully featured DAW, like Cubase. (of course, it dont have that huge toolset and those professional embed VSTi packs, but its lightweight for that matter)

As for wave editor, i'm using GoldWave too on daily basis, but had some fun with Reaper.  Its one of the most self explaining and user friendly DAW program, you will need about 30min to get hang on the work flow.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

I have used goldwave before but since it doesn't support vst, Im now using audacity and actually it's really good and you can get almost everything done there.
^^

psishock

well i'm strictly using Goldwave for standard wave editing works and timing manipulations. For every further VST related or more complex works, i'm using my preferred tracker. I feel a lot more comfortable on home ground.

LPChip

I'm not looking for a DAW. I have EnergyXT, which also allows me to record wave files, but its so much better at being a DAW than a wave editor, which I assume is the case for most DAW's.

psishock

Correct LP, i would likewise use a DAW for recording, and an external editor (specifically designed) for editing. :D

Im doing that combination with Reaper/Goldwave, and Renoise/Goldwave also.

Oliwerko

I second Audacity, it's a neat little piece of software that's able to do all the basic wav editing stuff.
I am not afraid of death.
I am afraid of murder.

LPChip

Just to clarify things: I'm looking at recording wave files, not editing, but the program must have good editing capabilities.

I've tried wavosaur last night with ASIO on, and it after I recorded and went editing, the sound failed and resulted in a BSoD.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"I've tried wavosaur last night with ASIO on, and it after I recorded and went editing, the sound failed and resulted in a BSoD.
Ah, the joy of Creative drivers...

psishock

uncloned

Sonar 8.5 and Audition as a callable editor from within Sonar (I don't have to leave Sonar to edit )

Sonar has lots of wave editing functions and in track view I can slice up midi or audio and move it around or copy or crop as easy as graphics - easier in fact.

BUT Audition does do some heavy duty editing Sonar doesn't have.

When I'm lazy I will occasion record in Audition because it will do a "click and go" record while Sonar thinks you are setting up a project.