For those who like psy...

Started by Saga Musix, August 25, 2009, 21:33:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

... here's the new album from ManMadeMan, a really cool psytrance duo. Downtempo and classic psytrance, everything is there. MP3, FLAC and WAV are available for free download!
http://www.ektoplazm.com/free-music/manmademan-children-of-the-light/
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Spamming again in the general chatter area? :P
This post is very much worthy for the "Free Music Download" tab. =)
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Nahkranoth

No, no! "Free Music Downloads" is only for us noble modpluggers! :D

Saga Musix

Yes, I decided against posting in the free downloads section, because I don't like how certain people just dump random stuff there (and I don't mean Sam_Zen or clones, in case you wonder) that doesn't really have anything to do with modplug.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Saga Musix

Sam_Zen

hm. There was indeed a while ago a discussion about whether stuff in the download section should be strictly MPT-made or not. The outcome was a bit undecided.
Maybe a better distinction would be, if it's selfmade, or just a link to somebody's elses work.

Louigi Verona

When I put something in General, unrelated to modplug, members of the community asked me to use the Download section. I agree it is a better solution.

Saga Musix

I understand the download section as something for music by modplug users or ex modplug users. Not as something like "hey look i found this on the web".

Louigi Verona

Right, but it doesn't directly say that. It just says - Downloads.

I personally don't care, but I got used to having music downloads in download section.

Saga Musix

You're wrong, it says:

QuotePost links to your music here so that people can find it easily.
Whereas Jakim's "Rainforest" is for example clearly not "your" music.

I also remember Callisto's "Ganymed", where Callisto signed up, posted this tune and someone asked "was this really made with modplug?" and he was like "I don't know", which is clearly advertising (the tune was nice, but still...).

Louigi Verona

Nothing I post is ever made with modplug. I never heard you can't post stuff made with other tools.

psishock

That is why i've suggested that we could have more main categories...
The general section is heavily "spammed" with every kind of stuffs that are not misc related. If we shoot out free music area, we will have basically 1 section for everything. If one wants to search some specific topics like competitions, nice articles, hey look what i found music, technical help/information, chatter, announcements, or anything else, he would have to dig between the "chaotic" mass of unrelated topics.
If general area is not only for fellow modplug user related stuff, why should the free music area be locked away?
I'm seeing any forum as a tool for discussing information with each other, categories are helping us to separate the group of topics, tossing everything in one place is mayb no the most effective way to keep the same related stuffs organized and easily followable for newcomers, or not every day visitors.

Maybe the root of the problem lies within me, i'm seeing this place as a special meeting center for various musicians, artists and sound engineers, apparently many of them aren't only modplug related even now, but overall it helps the people to learn many stuff from each other, and that's what should matter in the end, helping each other to improve. "Forcing" only strictly modplug related stuff for any topics would have negative effect for the current community in my opinion.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Louigi Verona

I think forcing only modplug related topics on this community will result in like 1 topic per month - not a lot of things to discuss about modplug (or, tbh, about any other piece of software I know).

Nahkranoth

Don't you think the discussion went too far? From "Modplug only music" we progressed to "modplug only stuff", that's a serious difference.
Just my 2 kopecks :D
P.S. As a generous lad I will allow psi to post his music, despite he's the Renoise guy :D

uncloned

if posting stuff like this link this is really a problem a possible solution would be to open a miscellaneous download and link topic (software, video links and the like)

and I wonder sometimes if my productivity puts off others from posting in the download music section. However, for me, the download section has become in part music philosophy/theory - we have many serious and serious-ish composers hanging out. I think that is valuable in itself.

There is something to be said for modplug related music - one solution would be to indicate via a star or something? Or category?

One thing that I do believe though is that having content is crucial to any website. I'd caution against anything that eliminates/limits the content being posted here.