Play cursor in sample editor

Started by FWL, January 27, 2013, 22:29:31

Previous topic - Next topic

FWL

Hello evrybody,

I have a question about the play-cursor in the sample editor. When I play a sample the cursor will only stay visible when I keep moving my mouse pointer over the wave shape. Its not a really big problem but the visual feedback of the cursor can be convenient to visually check if your sample offsets are correct.  I was wondering if this is normal functionality or is it caused by my graphics card settings?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Saga Musix

That shouldn't happen. What operating system, what graphics card? Are you using the latest drivers? It sounds like something that could happen if you are using the default graphics drivers that ship with Windows, but that's just a wild guess.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

Thanks for the swift response!

My OS is Windows 7 64bit and my graphicscard is een Nvidia GeForce 210. The drivers are up to date as far as I know. I will check this tomorrow. The weird thing is that it only happens in the sample editor window. The cursor for the envelopes in the instrument window is always visible, no problems there.

FWL

All drivers are updated. Still the cursor flickers in the sample editor. But nevermind. Its probably caused by the cheap graphicscard.

elPatrixF

Try disabling Windows Aero, there must be some conflict with the graphical rendering or something.
Check out https://soundcloud.com/elpatrixf/ or http://www.youtube.com/elpatrixf for more music!
Thanks for listening!

Saga Musix

That's indeed an idea, maybe desktop compositing messes things up in some way. Although I've never experienced something like that during the short time that I used Aero...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FWL

That worked. I changed the visual effects setting in windows to best performance and now the cursor is visible. It's still a little jagged sometimes, but it's much better. But I have a Intel q6600 processor and my graphicscard isn't that fancy but they should be able to deal with the default skinning of windows 7, shouldn't they? Or is my setup allready obsolete?

Saga Musix

It's probably less of a performance issue than a bug or incompatibility with the desktop compositing. I don't know if anything can be done about that, but I'll look at it sometime.

FWL

Well it wasn't that big a problem and it doesn't stand in the way of making music with Openmpt. So thanks a lot for your help and information!

Saga Musix

The flickering issues that occur with desktop compositing have now finally been fixed: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe

FWL

Hello Saga,

Sorry for my late reply. I didn't notice your message. Thanks for the fix! The problem with the flickering of the play cursor in the sample editor is indeed solved when the Aero-theme of windows 7 is activated.