Modplug Player Not Working in Vista

Started by Freddy, April 22, 2007, 20:17:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Freddy

Hello,

I installed Modplug version 1.46.01 in my recently purchased Vista Home Premium system.  The player installs, plays music, but doesn't work properly.  It's not fully functional.

For example, it will not recognize the playlist to play continually, but it will play a single selection when selected (open).  I can only play one song at a time.  When launched, it will mess up the color of the desktop.  It makes the desktop look grainy and distorted.

I uninstalled and reinstalled it three times, but that didn't resolve any problems.  I've removed it from my system.  It worked properly in my former Windows XP system.  Is Modplug player incompatible with Vista?

I'm running a 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 2 GB of DDR 2 RAM, PC-6400.

Thanks for listening,

Freddy

LPChip

It is very well possible that its incompatible with Vista, but I haven't tested modplug player when I was testing Vista.

Do note that my testing with Vista failed as Vista was too buggy for me and didn't supported all my drivers, so I'm back with XP. XMPlay worked perfectly though under Vista. You might want to try that as alternative.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Freddy

LPChip,

Thanks for the reply.  I'll try XMPlay.  Does it support the same formats as ModPlug?  I have a lot of music of the type supported by Modplug, and I'd like to make use of those.

Thanks,

Freddy

Sam_Zen

XMPlay is a very good tool to play all kind of tracker-types.
A second one you could try is JetAudio basic.

LPChip

XMPlay supports all module types that modplug player supports. In addition there's support for MP3, OGG and most other common fileformats. In addition the less common formats like SID, PRG, RMI and I dunno what audio files are out there, are supported through downloadable plugins from their website.

Basically its as powerfull as winamp, but way more stable and less resource heavy.

Also note that we only got the source of modplug tracker. MODPlug Player was made when we were using windows 95 (or perhaps windows 98)

Don't expect a fix in modplug player for this problem. It might be that someone can find a workaround but other than that, its not yet possible.

For that reason XMPlay is very good.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Freddy

LPChip,

Thanks, that answer takes care of all my concerns.  I'll be getting on with XMPlay.  Modplug has been a good friend for a long time.  Too bad it's likely gone.   :(

Take care,

Freddy

Chibbielwin

I have no problem whatsoever using ModPlug player under Vista (Ultimate version) and
without any compatibility option.

(I just had to say it >.>)

Sam_Zen

( I don't use Vista, so I can't tell, but )
2 Chibbielwin
Which version of MPP ? Freddy uses 1.46.01, but there is also 1.46.02.

Chibbielwin

I use 1.46.01 , and it's the same executable I just copy into my program files
folder each time I reinstall windows (meaning I ran it on 2k, xp, xp sp1, xp sp2 and Vista >.>).
I didn't even remember there was an installer  :nuts:

LPChip

Thanks for sharing though! Atleast this means that Modplug player should work and something else is going on here.

Freddy

Hi all,

Indeed, there could be something other than incompatibility going on here, but I have no idea what it could be.  By now, I've installed XMPlay, and it's working properly.  All my former Modplug files are working great in XMPlay.  I'll just leave it at that for now.  I'm tired of dealing with the problem.  Perhaps sometime later I'll try Modplug again.  I like the looks of Modplug better than the looks of XMPlayer, but that's a minor point.

Cheers,

Freddy

LPChip

Quote from: "Freddy"I like the looks of Modplug better than the looks of XMPlayer, but that's a minor point.

You can download additinal skins :) I'm sure there's a nice skin and you can also try and make one yourself too :)

Freddy

Hi,

I took a look at the various XMPlay skins available, and I downloaded and I'm now using the skin that mimics the latest look of Windows Media player (WMP11skin(black).  Pretty nice look, but that's just personal preference.  I'm getting to like XMPlay.   ::)

Take care,

Freddy

Sam_Zen

2 Chibbielwin
No installer indeed.

LPChip

Quote from: "Freddy"Hi,

I took a look at the various XMPlay skins available, and I downloaded and I'm now using the skin that mimics the latest look of Windows Media player (WMP11skin(black).  Pretty nice look, but that's just personal preference.  I'm getting to like XMPlay.   ::)

Take care,

Freddy

Ah, they made a WMP11 skin? I am still using the WMP10 skin :) Thanks for letting me know. Downloading!!! :D