Licensing question- A Clarifcation requested...

Started by sfan00, February 01, 2007, 15:19:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "sfan00"The code for OpenMPRT says it is under GPL.
However this means ALL the source code has to be released.
But it isn't in practice; MPT uses MFC-libraries whose code isn't released. I don't know how GPL is interpreted in this kind of things, but MFC application under GPL tends to sound bit contradictory.

PPH

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "sfan00"The code for OpenMPRT says it is under GPL.
However this means ALL the source code has to be released.
But it isn't in practice; MPT uses MFC-libraries whose code isn't released. I don't know how GPL is interpreted in this kind of things, but MFC application under GPL tends to sound bit contradictory.

He's talking about Steinberg's code, not Microsoft's. MFC is used, but in binary form. MFC code doesn't need to be distributed because it's available in binary form in Windows computers.
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "PPH"He's talking about Steinberg's code, not Microsoft's. MFC is used, but in binary form. MFC code doesn't need to be distributed because it's available in binary form in Windows computers.
Yes I understood he wasn't talking about MFC-code. The reason why I find the MFC in GPL project somewhat contradictory is that even though MFC is available as binary in Windows, it isn't included in such form that the source was compilable - and I had an impression that GPL insists that the released 'source' includes everything needed to compile the program excluding things that are part of the operating system. But then again, such vague legal text can be intrepreted in many ways :)

PPH

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"
Quote from: "PPH"He's talking about Steinberg's code, not Microsoft's. MFC is used, but in binary form. MFC code doesn't need to be distributed because it's available in binary form in Windows computers.
Yes I understood he wasn't talking about MFC-code. The reason why I find the MFC in GPL project somewhat contradictory is that even though MFC is available as binary in Windows, it isn't included in such form that the source was compilable - and I had an impression that GPL insists that the released 'source' includes everything needed to compile the program excluding things that are part of the operating system. But then again, such vague legal text can be intrepreted in many ways :)

I understand. Maybe "everything" they mean the code... Maybe MFC can be considered part of the operating system. Who knows? I should check the GPL legalese. But I think I won't :D
============
PPH
-Melody Enthusiast
============